Famous JW's (or exJW)..an almost complete listing.

by badwillie 85 Replies latest jw friends

• lucky
    lucky

Isn't Rodney King a witness? (or I think he was raised one, anyway). I saw him at our district convention one year.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

There's another thread like this...I added Xzibit.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/89874/1509263/post.ashx#1509263

Alvin Joiner, 26, sometimes cringes when he thinks of what his mother and father used to do when they found the rap music he tried to hide from them as a kid in Detroit.

Then he remembers what that punishment led to. And he laughs because it's what jump-started his rap career.

"My parents were Jehovah's Witnesses and they didn't particularly care for rap music," says Joiner, , who is known as Xzibit. "I would get my little headphones and sneak and listen to it at night. Every time they would catch me, they would get it and break my tapes. And I'd be mad. Eventually, I got sick of it. So I said, 'You know what? I can rap my own stuff and they can never take that from me.' "
  • Armani
    Armani

Worldly girl, easy with the language, a little more respect before you call such an important worship tool "sucks". You may think the music isn't good, but you don't have to be rude.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Armani, who are you? Please introduce yourself before you decide to be the board censor. Oh and kingdom melodies suck big time!!

• Triple A
    Triple A

Sherri Shepherd - From Everybody Loves Raymond - Robert's Police Partner

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tcw/2004/002/1.33.html for the whole article.

Part of article:

Did you always have the acting bug?

I think I was four when I decided I wanted to be famous. I would sing in our living room. I loved to entertain. I made people laugh.

All my report cards said, "Sherri's an incredible student, but she's a class clown." When we moved out of Chicago into a suburb to escape gang violence, there weren't many black people there, and we were called "niggers" a lot. I made jokes out of whatever they said. I always dealt with pain through humor.

What kind of pain?

Besides the racial insults, things were tough at home. My dad was a Christian, but my mom became a Jehovah's Witness when I was about seven. To keep the peace, my father became one, but he was miserable.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe only a remnant of 144,000 go to heaven. They believe Jesus is actually the archangel Michael, and they don't believe in the Trinity.

We immediately stopped celebrating holidays such as Christmas. Our family distanced our- selves from extended family because we weren't supposed to associate with non-Witnesses. My father questioned things, so eventually the elders excommunicated him and told us we couldn't talk to him anymore.

My mom filed for divorce, packed us up, and moved us to California when I was 17. Being a senior in a new high school, I had no friends. I didn't have a father in my home. My mom now had to work two jobs. There was no structure, so I just went crazy.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Terence Howard, who was in the movie Crash and Ray to name a few, was raised a dub.

Also several members of the Wu Tu Clan were raised as dubs.

The 70's - 80's singing group SKYY were also bapistized dubs.

They made the disco hit "Call me"

• serendipity
    serendipity

Armani,

Thanks for bringing this thread back up! I was wondering about this topic just a few hours ago.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Terence Howard, who was in the movie Crash and Ray to name a few, was raised a dub.

I didn't know he was.

Does anyone know if any members of Creed were raised as/around jw's? Just listening to this song again made me wonder:

"My Own Prison"A court is in session, a verdict is in
    No appeal on the docket today
    Just my own sin
    The walls are cold and pale
    The cage made of steel
    Screams fill the room
    Alone I drop and kneel
    Silence now the sound
    My breath the only motion around
    Demons cluttering around
    My face showing no emotion
    Shackled by my sentence
    Expecting no return
    Here there is no penance
    My skin begins to burn

(And I said oh) So I held my head up high
    Hiding hate that burns inside
    Which only fuels their selfish pride
    (And I said oh) We're all held captive
    Out from the sun
    A sun that shines on only some
    We the meek are all in one

I hear a thunder in the distance
    See a vision of a cross
    I feel the pain that was given
    On that sad day of loss
    A lion roars in the darkness
    Only he holds the key
    A light to free me from my burden
    And grant me life eternally

Should have been dead
    On a Sunday morning
    Banging my head
    No time for mourning
    Ain't got no time

Out from the sun

[Guitar break]

I cry out to God
    Seeking only his decision
    Gabriel stands and confirms
    I've created my own prison
    I cry out to God
    Seeking only his decision
    Gabriel stands and confirms
    I've created my own prison

Out from the sun

Out from the sun

Should've been dead on a Sunday morning
    banging my head
    No time for mourning
    Ain't got no time

• startingover
    startingover

Don't forget Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine.

Check out this interview and what he says about the private school. I read somewhere else it was a JW private school. Maybe someone on the board knows if one existed in San Diego area at that time.

http://megadeth.rockmetal.art.pl/interviews_hitparader1987.html

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"Terence Howard, who was in the movie Crash and Ray to name a few, was raised a dub."
    Ya, Terence visited my congregation a few summers back while filming in Toronto. He studied with a few of the elders there. I met him but didn't know who he was at the time. Snappy dresser with fabulous eyes. Made very intelligent comments at the meetings. At the DC that year, I heard that there were sisters going up to him for autographs.
    tall penguin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit