Cecil the Lion deserved what he got...That's right. I said it.

by cappytan 38 Replies latest social humour

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Cappy, the humor wasnt lost on me :) it was ironic and reflected a real set of arguments that mirrors debate on other topics...

What i find head shakingly bizzare is how much outcry there is over this one lion, simply because he was named. Its typical internet mob mentality and after a week nobody whos crying over poor cecil will give one damn. Whats also telling is that two weeks ago nobody whos crying over cecil cared one bit about all the lions the maasai kill every year and will continue to kill every year. Its people jumping on the band wagon, 'oh i bleed for cause xyz' because everyone else is..... Its staking out the easy moral high ground.

im not suggesting that some of the well reasoned comments on this thread are not sincere and i dont object to taking a notrious incident and using it to draw attention to a real problem. But the level of phony outrage that was never expressed before and will vanish in a few days by some (especially on social media) simply so they can be "on the right side" of an issue is sickining. Talk to me next week or next month when the maasai or some other african tribe slaughter lions as a right of passage and then i will be be able to take the concern seen on various social media as genuine. Donante to a legitimate conservation fund for big cats. Do something afirmative to support big cat conservation. Donate to educate the chineese so they will stop harvesting lions for 'traditional' medicines. But please spare me the cause dejour outrage that only highlights how shallow the world has become and how easily people are manipulated into caring about something they have never before thought about.

*note: i do not support the clown dentist who killed this lion and hope justice is served on him. I dont support any hunting for 'sport'. I cheer when the orcas kill "trainers" at sea world.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Kaik, im not trying to pick an fight but your last comment was had at least two false equivalencies that were a bit grating, even though we are on the same side of this issue.

1) poaching was indeed a crime in the dark ages but absolutely NOT for the same reasons. They didnt give a damn about game managment in midevil England,( or about animal cruelty) nor did they need to... Poaching was merely a crime of theft against the baron or land owner or king . It did not resemble in any way the current crime of poaching, a crime related to game managment or in the case of lions, species management.

2) your statment that lured him off the the preserve and into "nature"..... Sigh..... Nevermind. I cant fix the world.

As noted, we are on the same side of this issue but being able to reason and related your argument logically and with a modicum of accuracy is nessary if you are going to reach people and change minds. Making emotional and error filled arguments will only convince those that agree with you and cause those that disagree to dig in deeper

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

So have you seen the new tv show ZOO

I like the food lion giving shopping advice on the commercials

remember

born free as free as the wind blows as free as the grass grows born free to follow your heart

I don't know what to think about Cecil and the dentist it was a configuration of events that happened and what's done is done

• DJS
    DJS

I don't mean to be mean, but the MN dentist represents everything I despise. I hope this MFer suffers as badly as the animals he has tracked and killed for his own gluttonous sport.

"Walter Palmer, the Minnesota dentist who has gone into hiding amid an international outcry over his killing of a beloved African lion, also wanted to shoot a large elephant on the ill-fated hunting trip, his guide has told a British newspaper."

• kaik
    kaik

I am not knowledgeable of English laws, but poaching was crime in Czech lands since 14th century. It has to do for overall protection as overkill became a huge problem in medieval times and caused extension of many species in Bohemia (wolfs, European bison, lynx, bears, and elks). Poaching was also defined as hunt outside legally defined hunting season (Sept-Nov). Even wealthy noblemen were fined for violating laws until 1627. Fishing was also on permit where hundreds of ponds across Bohemia were publicly owned, often by municipality, not by manor or landlord. Poaching was problem, because it destroyed expected source of food in medieval times where fish was important staple diet. Again, laws were implemented to regulate and to benefit a greater community. Anti-poaching and forest preservation laws in Bohemia are actually one of the oldest legal documents in that country.

Yes, the lion was living in reserve and was lured out by bait out, so he could be hunted and killed.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Cecil shudda stayed home dat day.

Why isn't there a fence around that preserve to keep da poor little kitty cats safe and sound.

• zeb
    zeb

I too have seen the uproar on tv here and the most of it is more about bashing hunters than any particular animal.

One African woman was on camera stating that hunters have no rights etc to come and kill our animals'.

She was more mischief than fact. She would well know that the hunts are conducted on animals surplus to their areas. This is they are taken out and the area is not over crowded. The animals are then cut up and the meat shared around local people. The Elephants in some South African areas are culled (meat distributed the same) and the ivory is stamped and sold on the official ivory market the funds then go back to running of the park. Areas not culled have overpopulations and the elephants then eat themselves out and destroy water holes.

If you are upset by this think aboutn the meat you eat and where it comes from. Have you every worked in an abattoir? I have,not nice. Life is taken to support life. As for killing that Lion with a bow I don't agree. But I think the arranger of that hunt should be called into question.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    Oh s__*t Sorry about that red finger i gave you Cappytan. I just thought you were one of those freaks who make incredibly stupid observations. I'm not familiar with your' dark humour yet.........so here's a green finger....
  • Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y
    You guys are missing the point. Cecil was keeping the numbers of the real killers in check. Zebras, antelope and such maim and sometimes kills millions of blades of grass HOURLY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit