Sick of the nanny state. Polictical correctness can kiss my donkey!

by punkofnice 56 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I think you cant be bothered to respond because you haven't actually got a point in the first place, and being offended about being called a twat after complaining about political correctness makes you a hypocrite to boot.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Caedes

This un-PC free speech that punk is advocating works both ways.

E.g. if a black person doesn't like white people, let them say so out loud. Rather that than bottling it all up.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LoveUniHateExamsa minute ago@Caedes
    E.g. if a black person doesn't like white people, let them say so out loud. Rather that than bottling it all up.

"I would rather a slap in the face than a lie." - A saying of my ethnic minority Grandmother.

Of course there are ways of saying things. If someone hates me for my ethnicity, I would rather know and see if there is any sensible dialog we can get into to dissipate any bigotry.

The reason I am ignoring Caedes is because she or he appears to be looking for a platform for arguing and issuing ad hominems (as per previous threads over the years), looking to spin any comments into negatives, rather than discussing. I refuse to enter into that arena.

I started this thread looking to be convinced that I was right or wrong. Caedes has convinced me that PC is a bad thing. Perhaps that was his or her intent...dunno?!?

We all have our views and perspectives. I like to think that through reasonable dialog I can have my perspective changed. We mainly all try to get along and find peace in life. I object to the 'just in case' micromanagement.

From the comments in this thread I am more convinced that PC doesn't really change people deep down...people are what they are.

Thanks all for your input. enjoy the rest of your day.

I wonder what ad hominems and spin will come back? I sit here with popcorn and a half smile.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Damn! I covered the -phobics and the -ists labels in my earlier post and left out the bigots!
  • Caedes
    Caedes

Seems to me that PON really doesn't like un-PC free speech unless you parrot his views.

Personally I think free speech applies to everyone including people who have offensive views, that doesn't undermine political correctness it just means that offensive free speech such as racism isn't given a platform in the public sphere. Everyone is entitled to hold and voice even offensive opinions as long as society doesn't give them credence.

Since white people are not subject to institutional racism then a black person saying he doesn't like white people is merely being insulting rather than being racist in the same way (and with the same meaning) it would be if the roles were reversed.

• Caedes
    Caedes

The reason I am ignoring Caedes is because she or he appears to be looking for a platform for arguing and issuing ad hominems (as per previous threads over the years), looking to spin any comments into negatives, rather than discussing. I refuse to enter into that arena.

I thought you were advocating un-PC free speech? Why would that not apply to me?

I would rather a slap in the face than a lie

Your reaction to my input suggests that you don't actually live by that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    snugglebunny24 minutes agoDamn! I covered the -phobics and the -ists labels in my earlier post and left out the bigots!

I agree with you that we can slap labels on people but we don't know their real minds. We are complicated as individuals. We all have our red buttons and sometimes there doesn't seem to be a logical reason.

People hate what they fear.

I am glad to live in a multiracial society. Well, I am a multi-racial person with multi-racial family. this is why I object to being labelled as one product when I am a conglomeration of many. Sure I have unreasoning suspicion of people and things. Who hasn't? What I try to do is learn through non insulting dialog. No one wins an argument, methinks. With an argument, both sides tend to defend their corner more rigorously.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Personally I think free speech applies to everyone - so echoing a view put forward in The Sun or by UKIP is allowed after all. Thanks.

it just means that offensive free speech such as racism isn't given a platform in the public sphere - this point has nothing to do with this thread. There have been no racist views expressed in this thread.

Since white people are not subject to institutional racism - very dubious statement. Zimbabwe's white farmers, together with their black colleagues, were driven from their farms by Mugabe's institutional racism. Some were beaten and killed.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Caedes - Personally I think free speech applies to everyone including people who have offensive views, that doesn't undermine political correctness it just means that offensive free speech such as racism isn't given a platform in the public sphere.

I agree. I don't know what you think I was saying. Perhaps I am not very good at communicating my intent. Do we have different perspective of what PC actually means perhaps?

makes you a hypocrite to boot.

unless you parrot his views.

Oh, thanks.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LUHE - it just means that offensive free speech such as racism isn't given a platform in the public sphere - this point has nothing to do with this thread. There have been no racist views expressed in this thread.

Yes. I have no issue with that statement. Never have, never will. What my magnum focus is how things get micromanaged by people who are not in the minorities they are trying to defend. Hence the banning of Baa Baa Black Sheep to protect people that are not offended by it in the first place. I see PC as a thin end of a wedge that will erradicate ANY free speech.

Correct me if I'm wrong but not with insults, fogging the issue, taking me out of context or ad hominems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit