Sick of the nanny state. Polictical correctness can kiss my donkey!

by punkofnice 56 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes

Sir Tim Hunt resigned from an honorary position - he still lost his job over fairly harmless remarks. As I said, it could have been dealt with over a pot of coffee in about 5 mins. Are you comfortable with his resignation?

I take it you didn't actually read my previous response as I answered both of these points, you do realise that his remarks were directed at all women working in laboratories? Exactly how big is this pot of coffee?

The rest of this thread is 'The Sun/UKIP we want the good old days' nonsense - absolute b*ll*cks. Society has worked hard to eliminate the sexist, racist, homophobic language of the 70s, and rightly so. As punk said, you're somewhat missing the point. Verbal/racist/sexist/homophobic abuse is obviously wrong and should continue to be outlawed. I think what Punk is getting at is that ordinary people aren't allowed to politely express themselves and state views outside of the narrow band of liberal orthodoxy without some t*sspot screaming 'waaycist!'

What a well thought out response, congratulations, I can see why exams might give you problems. Perhaps you could give an example of whatever point you are trying to make because the OP only talked about minorities and you haven't given an actual example either.

Personally, I find that people who complain about being called racist are racists.

Considering the feelings of other members of society doesn't make you the PC gestapo, it makes you a nicer human being - a respected scientist was forced out of his job because of the delicate feelings of the professionally outraged. Congratulations.

I'm not sure why you are repeating yourself, again my previous post answered this point with actual verifiable facts.

P.S. I don't read The Sun and I don't support UKIP.

Do you not recognise that you are echoing the low-brow arguments of those two institutions, of whom you could genuinely say are actually guilty of professional outrage.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

In a society with free speech there will be consequences for that speech. I'm not that familiar with free speech laws in Canada, Europe, Australia, ect.., but It seems in other countries speech isn't as free in the USA. Think hate speech is more strict in some of those countries vs USA.

However, in the USA if you speak against homosexuals for example the LGBT groups will try to destroy your career, business, and personal life. The same with other groups like CAIR, La Raza, NAACP, Al Sharpton, and many others in the US will try to control speech in the public forum.

With the consequences of having a view that may offend and cause severe repercussion, I'm still surprise what people post on their social media. As a manager I was force to fire someone for comments they made on their facebook account. I've also know of people that were not hired because of comments that were made.

• Caedes
    Caedes

LUHE - I was a bit confused by the Sun reading UKIP comment. It kind of seemed odd that someone so concerned about the feelings of others resorted to that type of biggoted speech. Good that Caedes has freedom of speech....at the moment!

It's amusing that you object to the comparison since they both make exactly the same argument as you have made on this thread, it is hardly bigoted to point out the similarity.

Since I am part of the evil conspiracy trying to make this world a better place it makes sense that I am free to be as big a do-gooder as I wish to be. (You might want to have a think about using that as an insult, it doesn't mean what you think it means) I would suggest watching the following Mitchell and Webb video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Punkofnice: There does seem to be a tendency for persons who are not directly affected to take up a cause on behalf of a minority to which they do not actually belong.

It's been my experience that some folk who aspire to political correctness can be the most vociferous in their insults to those who may have reservations about what really constitutes equality, and they are often the most likely to be the ones who would hang a -phobic or -ist label on someone who does not agree 100% with whatever cause they happen to be championing at the time.

We're all entitled to our opinions. But being being totally convinced that our / your cause is just and right doesn't make it OK to trample underfoot those who disagree, as though the Crusades are being re-enacted all over again.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Caedes - I hope this clears that up.
    Not really!

Tough!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

AdjKno - Everything has a price in this life. No such thing as a free lunch. My fear is that innocent comments not made with bad intent are pounced on. A bit like singing Baa Baa Black Sheep was banned in at least one school. That is madness.

Which leads me on to snugglebunny. Extremists are rather annoying.

• tiki
    tiki

Punkofnice...galiciaks are a Slovakian group looked down on by the Polaks. Not sure about the lits...they were just dumb. But probably smarter than the frogs...and the ruskies got kind of a bad name with kruschev and the shoe incident...but then dubbya got a shoe too..and that moron deserved it...imho..

• tiki
    tiki
    By the way...we have Indian neighbors...from India...
  • Laika
    Laika
    Do you have any specific examples of the language 'do gooders' hate which muslims and gays are cool with?
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Tiki - That's okay, my children's mother was Jamaican with Indian and Hispanic extract. I myself am rather a mixture. My dad's half brother was half Italian. My granddaughter is half Polish. To look at me you'd say 'white-man' but just look beneath........................I have no axe to grind with anyone other than those that proclaim they know best in a patronising and arrogant manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit