Sick of the nanny state. Polictical correctness can kiss my donkey!

by punkofnice 56 Replies latest social current

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Laika5 minutes agoDo you have any specific examples of the language 'do gooders' hate which muslims and gays are cool with?
    Not sure who you're asking but as far as ethnicity is concerned -
    Baa Baa Black Sheep. was banned in a school in case it offended black people. My wife at the time, thought it was ridiculous as she was not offended by a kid's rhyme. She is black btw.

I used to play in a Caribbean steel band and the blokes were talking about how useless white men were in certain ways. One of the guys said, 'Er, PJ is in the van.'
    Their reply, 'Oh, he passed the test, man.' There was laughter. I was not offended.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Caedes - so it seems you are comfortable with the fact that one bad remark cost this person his job.

Yes, his remarks were aimed at all women that work in laboratories, and were wrong. Yes, more women need to be encouraged to be scientists. But was sacking this guy really the best way to achieve this? Surely most women would shrug his crap joke off, come back with a barbed, witty response, or simply tell him to f*ck off?

I can see why exams might give you problems - although I hated them, they didn't. I passed them all first time. And I graduated today at 10:30 with a BSc, First Class Honours.

Agreed, The Sun and UKIP are prime examples of the professionally outraged. You could add Stonewall and Tell Mama to these, though.

Do you not recognise that you are echoing the low-brow arguments of those two institutions - is this not allowed?!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LUHE - I notice Caedes using patronising/sarcastic terms. I will not rise to this. Hence my dismissal of 'tough!'

I don't mind discussing but refuse to be bitched at or talked down to.

Well done with the graduation too!!

• Caedes
    Caedes

Whereas calling me young fella mi lad was of course not meant to be patronising, it sounds to me you don't like being offended, perhaps I should be more politically correct?

I must have missed the all the legislation and court cases over people singing baa baa black sheep! That is your example of 'persecution' wow!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Never mind Punky, here is a PC new year greeting you can send without upsetting anyone!

George

POLITICALLY CORRECT NEW YEAR GREETING MESSAGE:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress , non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the summer solstice holiday practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all .

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year xxxx, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great ( not to imply that our country is necessarily greater than any other country ) and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee .

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms :

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her / him or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher .

Best Regards ( without prejudice )

Name withheld ( Privacy Act ).

• Caedes
    Caedes

Caedes - so it seems you are comfortable with the fact that one bad remark cost this person his job.

He chose to resign from one honorary position, due to his sexist remarks at women's conference. He still has a job as I pointed out in my first post.

Do you not recognise that you are echoing the low-brow arguments of those two institutions - is this not allowed?!

So my comparison was entirely correct then?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@punkofnice - cheers, man!

You're right, nobody should be bitched at.

Was Caedes deliberately being patronising? Maybe, maybe not - this topic is a sensitive one that can upset people, and provoke passionate responses.

I used to play in a Caribbean steel band and the blokes were talking about how useless white men were in certain ways. One of the guys said, 'Er, PJ is in the van.'Their reply, 'Oh, he passed the test, man.' - that reminds me of what happened to me. While at uni, I made friends with a Cameroonian student (attractive, nice personality, curves like Nikki Minaj ). I gave her some data because she lost hers so she took me out to dinner to say thank you. I tried to pay my share but she insisted. We hung out a few times and I always send her a message at Christmas. I was with her and her Zimbabwean friend one time and she was having a bit of a go at white people. She then turned to me and said "but not you" - I thought that was funny.
  • Laika
    Laika

I am not sure why I should be upset about people trying to be nice, even when it's a bit unnecessary.

Being honest, most of the railing against 'political correctness' comes from bigots like the aforementioned Pat Condell who are upset at being called out for their bigotry. :/

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LUHE - Was Caedes deliberately being patronising? Maybe, maybe not - this topic is a sensitive one that can upset people, and provoke passionate responses.

Yes. A shame. All I was hoping for was interesting comments rather than being called a twat straight off. I can't be bothered to respond to that sort of thing because you I feel that no matter how I word a thing it will be twisted to become insulting. I guess that's the kind of makes my point about being PC and the kind of knit picky attitude it inspires.

Laika - I am not familiar with Pat Condell. I believe in getting along fine with all peoples. what I object to is when it becomes micromanagement from the likes of people that ban children singing Baa Baa Black sheep (nothing to do with skin colour), 'just in case'. I think it's the 'just in case' that annoys me the most. In health and safety, anything can be dangerous from eating chips to sitting watching telly. It's when guidelines that are 'just in case' become law....then we know George Orwell's 1984 society is in full swing.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

St George - Not sure how to answer that politically correctly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit