Letter Read to All Congregations

by AMNESIAN 54 Replies latest jw friends

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Those of you still attending meetings are/will be in a position to provide more specifics as to exact wording and tone. My information comes second-hand from one who attended the TMS/SM last night. I was not there and did not personally hear the letter read (and did not wish to press too insistently for details).

A letter was read to the congregation for the sole purpose of specifically announcing the release on videotape of, as reported to me, "the Korah drama." T he exact title wasn't recalled but I assumed this to be the drama just done at the 2002 DCs regarding the rebellion of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram against Moses.

Here's what I consider the interesting part: Congregation members are being instructed to be sure to order this video immediately as its subject matter will form the basis of a SM part scheduled---as best my "informant"- J could recall--- for November. A point was made in the letter to advise that the video's introduction would be provided by GB member, Sam Herd.

The uniqueness of this occurrence is such that the loyal JW family member who informed me of it did so precisely because s/he found it so odd. It is not this person's custom to bring up much of anything about a meeting or the organization that might set me on a tear.

What strikes us both:

First off, one entire letter devoted to the single subject of the release of a single video and the need to order it immediately for a fast-approaching program part is unusual in my recollection. (I do realize that SM parts over the last year or so have been devoted to covering specific videos, but most if not all of these were those that have been released over a period of some previous years---and strongly suspected to be still sitting dusty and encased in their original shrink-wraps in JW homes worldwide--- and none received any special advance spotlight or emphasis).

Secondly, unusual is the fact that a meeting part is being designed to cover material so soon after its presentation in drama form and seen so recently by most of the friends. This video---with an added special introduction (discussed below)--- has clearly been put on the Society's fasttrack for production, distribution, and viewing.

In my mind, however, most significant about the letter is the Society's making such a point of providing advance notice that a GB member would be introducing the video presentation and their going so far as supplying the man's name. This is simply not done in WTS universe and suggests that the introduction contains some sort of "counsel" the WTS wants to be sure every JW receives a neon-marqueed heads-up to "pay more than the usual" attention to. It's hardly a SWAG to imagine the content and tone the intro is likely to have---delivered by a GB member, no less--- for a video drama production devoted to Korah, Dathan, and Abiram---those Israelite rebels who suffered the ultimate penalty for defying Jehovah's holy-spirit-appointed mouthpiece. (Numbers 16:1-35).

What, if anything, this may mean, only time will tell, but with news breaking almost weekly regarding the WTS, even the cynic in me is slo-o-owly starting to think that the organization just might be actually suffering the history-making upheaval and loss of which many here are already so convinced. Still hard to imagine that, in my lifetime.

AMNESIAN

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 18 September 2002 16:19:20

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Amnesian: It is becoming clear that with the recent recall of all COs and DOs in the UK back to the ISBA Bethel for an urgent meeting about this and other issues, that something is afoot ... I believe that the Society has decided to dig their heels in for a long protracted war with former JWs and to keep the existing JWs in line ... this is the most significant public relations battle they will ever fight - the label of being a religion that shields pedophiles is something they must deal with ... the CNN Connie Chung special featuring Heather and Amber as victims and Bill Bowen was a serious surprise salvo into Watchtower Land --- and as usual they are choosing unwisely to fight the whistle-blowers and victims instead of fighting the pedophiles.

Conveniently, the admission of the Canadian Elders (currently hosted on Freeminds.org) that the WT Society has been shileding pedophiles to protect the image of a clean organization must be a major crack in the Watchtower walls ... maybe in the near future we will singing a version of the Wizard of Oz song, "Ding-Dong, the Wicked Watchtower is Gone." Thanks again for the heads-up about the letter to be read. Maybe someone can obtain a copy of the video for showing on the Internet. Jim W.

Edited by - Amazing on 18 September 2002 16:16:18

• detective
    detective

I would imagine that the urgency with which they are pushing the video could also drum up some fast ca$h for the organization? I wonder if this isn't yet another high-powered sales tactic?

Now, if someone could remind me again...how is the necessity of purchasing "study" materials a la watchtower is somehow different from Scientology requiring their adherents to purchase materials to aid in their spiritual advancement.

How creepy.

Edited by - detective on 18 September 2002 16:15:53

• DJ
    DJ

How much does it cost? That's what I find interesting. dj

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Very interesting. My sister will eat it up, and will bemoan the loss of her apostate sister.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Detective: Good point ... this only difference I see between Watchtower and Scientology materials being purchased is cost ... Scientlogy charges so much more ... and they charge for their meetings and training programs ... at least the WTS still have "Free, no collections, Free" style meetings.

• happy man
    happy man

hello A

Here in sweden we heard nothing of this yet, i will tel if it came.

I can tell that the drama we have 2 years ago on our assambly about kora, give mee a lot of qestions, why this I have not se any enemys, but I staret to lokk on the net to find something, and find this place, the rest is history.

So in fackt this drama was the one thing why I find this site.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

detective:

I would imagine that the urgency with which they are pushing the video could also drum up some fast ca$h for the organization? I wonder if this isn't yet another high-powered sales tactic?

Highly unlikely given that collection for videos is on the same "donation basis" as is the rest of the Society's literature and materials and we know how that is faring in terms of generating revenue.

No, if anything,---and I believe it is something---this is, just as Amazing observes, "the Society [...] dig[ging] their heels in for a long protracted war with former JWs and to keep the existing JWs in line." (bolding mine).

I think things are starting to get ved-dy inter-desting now.

AMNESIAN

• og
    og
    It is becoming clear that with the recent recall of all COs and DOs in the UK back to the ISBA Bethel for an urgent meeting about this and other issues, that something is afoot

The recall of COs & DOs is unsupported fantasy at this point, and Amnesian himself is asking for confirmation of this letter - which hasn't been offered yet.

It sure is easy to get people excited on this board.

Why do I have to be the curmudgeon today?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I am pretty sure that "Korah" is the Society's Code-Name for Bill Bowen and the silentlambs.

The Society is probably sending the message to the JW's not to listen to the silentlambs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit