Armageddon will be here in less than 4 years!

by hoser 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Codswallop !

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

That's great news! My car loan is for 6 years!!! I end up saving a lot of money!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

It's hard to make out the mentality of people who repeat these "prophecies" when they have a history of failed claims behind them. Do they really believe it themselves or is it just a coded way to express their frustrations or fears at other people's choices?

For me, I never really believed it, but I would find myself saying it just because that's just what you say. I was taught how to interact by JWs and when someone says X is 6 years away, you just have to say "if this system lasts that long." Its sorta like the JW version of please and thankyou. You just say it out of habit at a certain point - especially if you're socially awkward like me and looking for a formulaic way to interact with people.

• tezrichmond
    tezrichmond

It's like things you wanna do before your forty, things you wanna do before Armageddon.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Armageddon is already taking place in Iraq - it is the will of Allah. The infidels will perish and paradise will be established in the barren, sandy plains of the warring factions of the oil rich Arabian sands. America will thank Jesus. The Arabs will thank Allah. Atheists will thank god it’s settled and the world will struggle on.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

4 years from now is the perfect time period. It is close enough out that the end is still iminent, but far enough out that you don't have to be accountable for your prediction.

I remember more that a few similar conversations. Although, I remember the brothers use 2 years, not 4.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

In 1969 they said I would not graduate from high school, but I did and now I am retirement age.

In 1941 the Watchtower published the aptly-named children's book entitled "Children." The book admonished kids to forego thoughts of marrying in this system because the end was near, close enough to where it didn't make sense to burden themselves with marital responsibilities. For some years marriage was frowned upon and seen as a sign of spiritual weakness. It wasn't until Nathan Knorr's marriage in 1953 that this policy and outlook was reversed.

A 10 year old who received that book in 1941 would now be 83 years old. Hopefully they didn't follow the book's advice.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

That's great news! My car loan is for 6 years!!! I end up saving a lot of money!

In the late 90s I followed the WT's recommendation and enrolled in a technical course of study. I took out some student loans and one of the options was a graduated repayment plan where the monthly payment kept getting bigger as time passed. I felt I was getting one over on them by agreeing to it since Armageddon would arrive before I finished paying my loan. Five years later I ended up rolling it into a student loan I had taken out to pay for a legit college education. Since it got consolidated into my college loans, I will probably end up paying three times the value of the loan by the time I'm done. They give out the worst advice when it comes to higher education and vocational training.

• NotNew
    NotNew

Good to know

SW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Predictions like that are useful to keep people from leaving or engaging in any kind of a life other than the Organization. People are willing to put personal desires and plans on hold since "it will only be for a few years since we are so close to the end". It works especially well when it is only hinted at, or passed through the grapevine, that way it seems more like inside information, plus no one has to take responsibility when it doesn't happen. They have been playing this game a long time, they are very good at it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit