Armageddon will be here in less than 4 years!

by hoser 40 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

That's the word according to my MIL.

mrs hoser is starting a new career and the college and work training will take her four years to complete. Her mom is giving her a hard time telling her that the system will be over before she graduates.

Remember you heard it here first.

• sir82
    sir82

Funny thing about Armageddon....

It's been "about 4 years away" for the past 100+ years.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yeah, yeah. I was told the same thing over 30 years ago.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

The WT's new slogan - Still making more money off of Armageddon than Bruce Willis ever did.

• blondie
    blondie

In 1969 they said I would not graduate from high school, but I did and now I am retirement age.

• hoser
    hoser

I think it is a control thing. MIL doesn't like us being too independant.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I remember once my (very judgmental) JW mother going off about a young sister in our congregation that wanted to be a doctor. She just couldn't understand how someone could go to school to be a doctor, and invest 8 years in schooling before you could even start practicing. Armageddon would surely come before she had the chance to be a doctor, and we wouldn't even need doctors in the new system. That was 15 years ago. I guess that schooling wasn't so ill-advised.

Meanwhile my hypocrit mother now has a masters degree. I guess armageddon wasn't so imminent that she couldn't go to school to be financially stable.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm pretty certain most people at JWN have been told similar at some point.

When I was an unbaptized publisher in 1994 I was told not to put off baptism because 'armegeddon's not round the corner, it's staring us in the face' and 'you don't want to miss out', blah, blah, blah.

20 years later, armegeddon is imminent ... again!

• OneEyedJack
    OneEyedJack

In the 80's I was in elementary school, and was working with the CO and some high schoolers. Everyone was talking about graduation, and whether the world would end before they graduated (mostly a year or two. When they got to me, and realised that it was nine years away everyone was like "NO WAY THIS SYSTEM WILL STILL BE HERE!" Of course, this was when the expiration date on the system was 80 years from 1914, before the overlapping generation BS.

Well, I just ran into a girl I graduated with last week and we not only graduated on time, but she has an 18 year old and a 16 year old kid. 18 year old is in college and the younger one graduates next summer. And guess what? In 20 years, their kids will be graduating too!.

• Simon
    Simon

In 1969 they said I would not graduate from high school, but I did and now I am retirement age.

Yeah, we were told "you'll never need to go to high school in this system". It's been 30+ years since I left high-school!

It's hard to make out the mentality of people who repeat these "prophecies" when they have a history of failed claims behind them. Do they really believe it themselves or is it just a coded way to express their frustrations or fears at other people's choices?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit