HOW TO AVOID THE A-HOLE SPIRIT OF SOME HERE...

by DATA-DOG 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

AndDontCallMeShirley:/ I think by understanding everyones point of view, no matter how misinformed or arcane , i can better understand myself. And having said that i am sure Flyinghoghnows dad and his buddies opinion is of better value than mine on most subjects.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Why does this 7% statistic keep coming up? It proves the OPPOSITE of what Paris thinks it does!

7% of doctors recommend Treatment A and 93% recommend Treatment B. It seems Paris would go ahead and choose Treatment A...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would check the credentials of the doctors. Majorities are not always right. Democracies prove that point.

• sunny23
    sunny23

What does Mr Astrophysicits Tyson have to say about this? How many scientists are theists vs degrees in education.

Interesting watch, if you would like to see the entire 1.5hr speech it is linked in the descption of this clip but concerning this topic you only need to watch the first 5 min....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvILvxYbFA

• cofty
    cofty

Vindictivegirl used to quote the same statistic. Coincidence?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

NHAH: AndDontCallMeShirley:/ I think by understanding everyones point of view, no matter how misinformed or arcane , i can better understand myself

That's why I'm asking for FHN's research. Or does part of your learning process involve never asking questions? I can't understand someone's "point of view" if they don't articulate why they have adopted that point of view. Heresay is not valid data.

NHAH: And having said that i am sure Flyinghoghnows dad and his buddies opinion is of better value than mine on most subjects.

Why? Other than FHN's claims (with no evidence to back them up), you have no reason to accept FHN's or her dad's buddies opinions as valid. Do you often surrender your own thinking processes based solely on the unsubstantiated claims of people you've never met?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Please enlighten us with your "research".

We've had this discussion several times on JWN and the statistics have been posted and debated.

I remember after one discussion where it was shown that a large percentage of scientists do believe in some kind of deity. When proven to be mistaken about the percentage of atheists mong scientists, one JWN athiests quipped that all the best scientists are atheists.

For a more accurate understanding of the amount of atheists in the fields of science, I suggest beginning with a study in Elaine Howard Decklund's research.

http://elainehowardecklund.blogs.rice.edu/home/about/

http://elainehowardecklund.blogs.rice.edu/home/literature/science-vs-religion/

So far, the biggest criticisms of her findings come from the Baptist Press. This is a criticism from a professor of mathematics.

Criticisms

Jason Rosenhouse is Associate Professor of Mathematics at James Madison University. Rosenhouse is critical of some of Ecklund's research summaries. In particular, he contests her claim that "As we journey from the personal to the public religious lives of scientists, we will meet the nearly 50 percent of elite scientists like Margaret who are religious in a traditional sense" (page 6, Ecklund, 2010). Rosenhouse says that "religious in a traditional sense" is never clearly defined. He suggests that she may be referring to her finding that 47% of scientists affiliate themselves with some religion, but says that calling them "religious in a traditional sense" is therefore misleading, because only 27% of scientists have any belief in a God, even though many more than that associate with religious cultures.

Here is an article from the Baptist Press about Elaine Howard Decklund's research and findings.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/growing-number-of-scientists-are-atheists

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

AndDontCallme Shirley: - " Do you oftern surrender your own thinking process on the claims of people YOU HAVE NEVER MET? "

My answer is YES... and i think thats true of both of us? But i must say most of the real wisdom i have learnt has come from simple and uneducated people.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Sorry i missed the word unsabstansiated...but i still stand by my post ADCMS

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

NHAH: But i must say most of the real wisdom i have learnt has come from simple and uneducated people.

It depends wholly on the context.

However, when we get into the fields of science and similar subjects, Joe the auto mechanic is probably not the best source for getting your education. Ask a scientist.

Ask Joe how to get your 2005 Volvo to idle more smoothly. Ask an astrophysicist about physics.

NHAH: Sorry i missed the word unsabstansiated...but i still stand by my post ADCMS

And I'm the one you say is not open to learning? In other words, you'll just blow off my comments as irrelevant and stay with your original opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit