Could There Be Another Mass Exodus From This Cult?

by mrquik 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I remember the 1970s in this cult. I started studying in 1974 and got baptized in January 1976. Many were disappointed and left in the years that immediately followed 1975, but the majority of us held on for various reasons. I think one of those may have been a seldom mentioned or remembered development which occurred in 1980. During the summer conventions that year, the WTS shouldered some responsibility for building up everyone's expectations about 1975. Note that I said "some" because it certainly refused to accept all, instead putting much of the onus for the disappointment squarely on the rank-and-file. After 1980, the Society never mentioned the 1975 fiasco again with the hope that its memory would fade in time. That strategy proved to be sound for very few who became Witnesses in the succeeding decades ever heard about those frenzied years when most of us believed that The End was truly near.

This cult survived the failed hopes of 1914, 1925 and 1975. The years following Charles Russell's death saw a loss of 75% of the membership, with barely 4300 publishers worldwide in 1918. Yet from that small number of a century ago, Witnesses have grown into the millions with adherents in virtually every country on the globe. The cult faced down and outlasted its most determined opponents like Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. It forced dictators like Cuba's Fidel Castro to finally capitulate and grant official recognition. The Chinese Communists, though still adamantly and staunchly opposed, have been unable to destroy them. So I don't think a scandal of any kind would lead to the cult's death.

That doesn't mean I think the WTS is invulnerable. History has many examples of movements that eventually collapses and came to nothing, and I think the rotten nature of this cult will lead to its demise. Its evil and corruption are beyond redemption and enough people will see that eventually. But that eventuality may well be many years away. Mormonism, founded nearly two hundred years ago, is still alive and kicking. Indeed, it is the fasted growing religion among those who profess faith in Christ and the Bible. There is dissension wthin and opposition without, but the Church carries on despite that. Nevertheless, it isn't in any danger of a catastrophic collapse. If the WTS dies swiftly, it will only be due to a combination of internal conflict within the Governing Body resulting in real and deep schisms and an awakening to the fact of its evils on the part of the rank-and-file.

Quendi

• jam
    jam

Anyone remember what was said about those that left (1975).

They didn't have the right hearth, Jehovah was cleaning out his

organization. So Jehovah lied in order to get ones kick out who

didn't believe or did believe. Those that did believe that 1975 was the end

faith was week, those that did not believe became faithful Witnesses.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

metatron - "Has anyone considered that the most dangerous thought relative to the Organization's future is the belief that it is fallible and dying?"

Abso-f**king-lutely.

Any authoritarian regime's true power is in its subjects' belief in its invincibility. Once that erodes, the game is up.

Even as a teenager, I'd understood the WTS made blunders, and as an adult, I did become increasingly bothered by the fact that the R&F were compelled to defer to the WTS as though it was infallible (whilst technically knowing otherwise)...

...however, one of the real turning points in my fade was realizing that due to its fallibility, the WTS could fall, and because it could, it probably would (and what's more, would probably deserve it when it did).

• metatron
    metatron

If this thought emerged as a meme - that they are fading away into history (at least) - how would they deal with it?

Maybe threaten to df people. I do notice more posters talking about it. Maybe it's the final piece in Jenga.

metatron

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

metatron - "...how would they deal with it? Maybe threaten to df people."

At least.

That would be "apostate talk", dontcha know?

Seriously, though; expect to see increasingly draconian (and frankly, unhinged) rhetoric and actions taken to try and contain the situation in the near future.

Frankly, it reminds me of how the right wing pretty much lost their shit when Obama was elected.

EDIT: It also reminds me of a comment (can't remember by who) in a similar thread recently about how the Nazis made crazier and crazier fantasy-based decisions because they were literally unable to accept that they were losing...

...and before any apologists start trying to remind us of the Bible Students' victimization in WWII Germany, try and remember an appropriate quote from The Dark Knight:

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

• steve2
    steve2

It is difficult for a loyal Witness to simultaneously acknowledge all the organization's errors and unquestioningly look to it for direction. That's why Witnesses who do not think much find it easier to place their trust in the organization. The ability to think jeopardizes unquestioning trust in the organization.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i dont thinkso i think it's different now

• minimus
    minimus

Everything with them happens very s l o w l y.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

minimus - "Everything with them happens very s l o w l y."

And therein lies one of the WTS's biggest problems.

Due to the Information Age, the modern world is now an environment that constantly changes at an unprecedented pace.

Any organism that wants to survive a changing environment has to adapt as just as quickly or face extinction, but the WTS - by it's very nature - simply cannot accomodate that degree of rapid adaptation.

• metatron
    metatron

Hmmm... sounds kinda like the Parable of the Wineskins, Vid.

Escalating commitment can be a sad thing, as Vietnam should have taught everybody. I suspect that many elders are swallowing hard and putting yet another bit of their manhood on the shelf these days, as they contemplate the CO's absolute rule coming.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit