Could There Be Another Mass Exodus From This Cult?

by mrquik 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Stirred
    Stirred

i can only speak for myself... Im feel im ramoing down and figuring out my next steps....and so is my whole family both immediate and extended. It could be major for us. We are counting costs, researching, and carfully considering though with deep respect to Jah and Jesus. By the futs we are recognizing somethng is teeribly wrong with the "tree."

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

In your opinion, how many current Dubs would leave the Borg, or at least stop going/contributing/preaching/etc. if the disfellowshipping rule was eliminated? Like many others on this site, I do not believe the current numbers provided by the Borg, and I didn't believe them 20 years ago when I was an elder. Your thoughts kind sir? - DJS

Hard to say, but my first thought is the organization would be cut in half within 5 years.

It is the biggest control device they have. Eliminating it would open the door for an exit of current members and diminish their ability to hold on to new recruits

I don't know how much the numbers are inflated, but we know they are at least to some extent. In our hall, for instance, the secretary calls anybody that doesn't turn in time to try and convince them that maybe they forgot about informal witnessing to somebody and could turn in an hour (or 15 minutes if infirm/elderly).

Many will pick up the hint and "remember" an hour or two. The elders are motivated to do this so as to not get scolded by the CO when he comes by and sees 6 new "irregular" publishers.

Of course that stuff is nothing new.

Actually, I was surprised to see them report an increase in partakers this last year. I thought for sure they would lie before reporting an increase the year after the "annointed" were demoted. LOL

-TE

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

TTATTelder - "Eliminating it would open the door for an exit of current members and diminish their ability to hold on to new recruits."

Which tells me that the WTS is still as concerned about appearance as it is about revenue flow.

After all, the conscious class aren't really donating any more; they're effectively just warming seats. Yet the WTS wants to keep them in for as long as possible - even though they are no longer a source of income - because it's very proud of its 7-million-plus membership number...

...not to mention that without the DF threat, rank-and-filers who are still in might ask those exiting why they're leaving, and that would open up a huge can o' worms.

TTATTelder - "It will be a slow and agonizing death, unless there is a huge public scandal... to give all the doubters an excuse to run for the door!"

Which, of course, begs the question, "Which does the WTS deserve more? The former? Or the latter?"

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Which, of course, begs the question, "Which does the WTS deserve more? The former? Or the latter?" - Vidiot

Good point.

I would rather see the quick end myself for my own purposes and also to see the revenue dry up quicker.

But the other way is interesting.

Their hopes and dreams would slowly get crushed as they scrambled to try and stop the slow bleed...(commence evil laugh)

-TE

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Indulging in a little schadenfreude is a healthy thing, from time to time.

(just my opinion)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It usually takes a few years for it to sink in and for a jw to wake up after some change like the generation thing or disappointment like 1975. I believe there won't be a mass exodus but a stream of people leaving in about 2020.

• metatron
    metatron

I think we have all been surprized at various changes that they have announced. Either the organization is in worse shape than we know or they are consciously liquidating it.

Getting rid of most DF'ing (such as only with criminal, proven acts) might not change that much. Witlesses will still shun fading relatives as disloyal all the same. Might take the edge off online opposition, though.

The 'truth' is about peer pressure. You get that when observing real life and death blood issues. Keep Witnesses/Elders from observing and many will go for it. Witnesses shunned each other (before official df'ing) for various perceived sins in the Nazi death camps. Ridiculous.

metatron

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I don't think there will be a mass exodus in the future rather it will be a case of people staying away from the Cult.... in droves

• steve2
    steve2

One of the major reasons for the noticeable drop-off in attendance post 75 was its sharp contrast to the very rapid growth pre-75. There has been no subsequent rapid growth to potentially de-stabilize the "mix" of new versus older witnesses. Many, many people came into the organization under a dramatic organizational push regarding Biblical prophecy and the significance of 1975. Given the spluttering growth in the west of recent years, and the hitherto unseen preponderance of more born-ins than newbies being baptized, there ain't the unstable growth rates to tip the balance of a mass exodus.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The end of the WT /Jehovahs witness religion will not come suddenly with a bang , but slowly with a whimper .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit