Were People Surprised When You Left The Witnesses?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Mine was a gradual going away. But once it dawned on them, I think people were shocked that I left the religion I espoused from youth.

Were people "in the Truth" and "in the world" surprised by your departure?

• Laika
    Laika

Yep, stunned. I began my fade in a separate country to the one I grew up so my home congregation did not see it coming.

• Laika
    Laika

Although with the benefit of hindsight some of them now claim they saw it coming.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

Yes, some were.

I was considered an object of astonishment because I was a single woman who was still there! Apparently, being a single woman is a fate worse than death and many women there can't deal with it. So, some got themselves DF'd or just up and left or they ended up on meds. I got tired of hypocrites who came up to me and said ".....it's so nice to see you here.." I even began to wonder why I was there after the rude awakenings I had.

But, then came 1995 and the changed teaching on Generation and it was over. I should have been relieved, really. But, it took another five years of dawdling before I actually walked.

I knew it was time to go when I knew I couldn't go out in service and tell people this religion was "truth". So, I decided to do a cold-turkey fade. Best thing I ever did and I am sorry I didn't do it ten years earlier!

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

@ Laika- Yes, like prophecy for the Watchtower, sometimes the actual fulfillment of a prophecy is not understood until AFTER the events unfold. That is the way it usually works, "I always thought there was something strange...." "You know, I remember something they said once..." Blah, blah, blah, BLEGH, WRETCH!

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

People were shocked. Some called my family crying. Some texted me very ugly and hurtful things. Got pretty crazy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is sad. My parents did not want me hanging out with the KH rif raf. They did not bother with me. No Witness entered my social world. Only one classmate noted my leaving. She made my life hell. My friends were all orchestra members. When my father died, my mom let me do normal teen things. There was an orchestra concert the same night as a meeting. I chose orchestra. The JW spy lectured me for being so evil as to attend an orchestra concert. I knew I would be a member of the orchestra the next semester as part of the normal teen routine. She was told to mind her own business and don't dare mess with my family.

We are friends today. She lasted one year longer than I did. I was envious of the attention she received from brothers. Well, it was sexual abuse. My parents did not trust other people with their children. OMG, the man was so old. She told me the elders asked such weird questions that she regretted ever saying anything.

I went to the orchestra, told my mom that she might rat me out, and joined the orchestra. Roman Catholic kids aren't evil if they want to attend a junior high orchestra concert. My clarinet playing was dreadful.

The classmate holds a municipal office in one of America's major cities.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Shocked. The ones that don't know....when they find out are shocked. Some people close to me that know some nonsense I had to deal with, with the elders kind of think that is the reason and that I am "weak". Suits me fine.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I have no idea because after stopping going to the meetings suddenly no one contacted me! For a time my still active wife would say that so and so says hello. Now, nothing. I guess they don’t miss me that much and I don't either. As for my JW family, they live 6 hours away and believe my inactivity is linked to a midlife crisis and that one day I will return. I am going through a crisis...a crisis of conscience and sooner or later they will figure it out.

• designs
    designs

Minimus- Same here, after a lifetime in it schocked everyone when they realized I was not coming back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit