Has anyone else observed how the elderly JWs are neglected?

by Joepublisher1 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

LongHairGal, you make some valid points. Some of the elders and even others in the congregation are quite nervy, as you observed. It's amazing how "bold" some people are within this group - they really can have some nerve. For anyone is who is a naturally born bully in this religion, there is a lot of latitude to abuse fellow JWs (usually the meeker ones) to do their bidding. I'm sure you know the type of JW that I'm talking about. Every hall has them - bullies who love to judge and boss people around - this can include elder's wives, too! And, then there's some lazy leaders from the servant body who get a work assignment at the DC (like cleaning the toilets) and don't lift a finger themselves!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Could it be in some of the situations mentioned above of "elders" and their families not taking care of their mothers or fathers needs that it is "like payment" in return? I know of some parents who ignored their children/teenagers to knock on doors pioneering. Years go by, and the children that are now adults, conveniently "repay" mom the same cards she dealt her own sons and daughters. Karma is sometimes a (wicked saying).

Seems to me that the root of the problem is the dysfunctional family teachings from WTBTS. If WTBTS stopped demanding in the name of GOD all attention and time and energy from their worshipers through fear and guilt, and stopped keeping their followers occupied from sun up to mid-night working on their organizational garbage, that families could return to the more "natural" familial love. Bottom line is that WTBTS "mother" organization is more demanding, louder in their demands, exerts more force for their demands, and is so overbearing that active witnesses can't see or hear their own family obligation.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOEPUBLISHER:

Yes, I saw all sorts of nervy types who would target anybody in the hall who was overly "kind". You know what? You can't BE overly kind in this world, unfortunately.

I saw the handwriting on the wall early on and had NO intention of emulating other single sisters who ran around doing favors for these worthless people.

Now, I understand things in the congregations are worse because of all the "marginal" types recruited by the religion in recent years. These nuts think they are going to make a bee-line towards anybody in the hall who looks like they have their act together.

The religion made a monumental mistake driving away educated people with careers and then recruiting "homeless" types.

What this means is that anybody there barely hanging onto their job is going to be targeted left and right for everything!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Watchowder is even abusive in the use of the word Christian. The one billion dollar REAL ESTATE windfall they should be spreading it around instead of building a 500 million dollar resort hotel.... No chance of that.

Don't most "Christian" denominations accumulate valuable real estate and other investments?

If 'selling' their possessions is an identifying mark of a true Christian, I suggest that there are hardly any 'Christians' on the earth today.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Without defending the JWs, I'd like to point out that not all congregations neglected the elderly.

In one congregation I was associated with, of only about 20 publishers and seldom more than 30 at the meeting, there was one elderly man. The sisters in that congregation organised a schedule among themselves to cook him a hot meal every day.

Yes, I know that other congregations may not have done something like that. But you also wont have to look far to find complaints concerning the neglect of the elderly in other churches also.

And, in a country like Australia, there are government arrangements for the elderly, most can avail themselves of financial support (pensions) and around where I live, the government supported 'Meals on wheels,' will deliver a good meal for a very low contribution.

There are things wrong about the witnesses, but we do not have to stoop to distortion to make our objections valid.

• clarity
    clarity

In a car one time while out in serve us, and suggested

visiting a sister with a terminal illness.

>

Well gee wizz ...... she had a 'worldly husband' don't you know,

so got a big thumbs down on that!!!!!!

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I don't care what they do. I hope they enjoy their billion dollar brooklyn Windfall!!!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I wouldnt agree with jws not caring for the oldies because where I am they care for their aging parents by taking them into their homes, selling up and moving closer to old parent and also a lot help old sisters who have no one. Maybe it depends on where you live, but most oldies around here are tended to some extent, though having Jw family n having been a good Jw helps.

The big challenge for the oldies I feel is that they themselves get depressed because in a results oriented organization they just cant do all the results oriented activities they once could, so they feel useless, as opposed to non Jw oldies who look back and go, hey I had a good innings and now I deserve to rest and watch my roses grow.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I think the answer to this question will vary depending on family and culture. Yes, I’ve known elderly JWs who were placed on a scrap heap as it were and abandoned. I currently know a man in his mid-sixties who is about to be divorced and who believes that his adult sons will not lift a finger to help him even though he will have no place to go once the divorce is finalized.

On the other hand, when I lived in the American South, Witnesses faithfully looked after elderly parents and relatives. I never knew of old-timers who did not have family or congregation members regularly check on them if they still lived in their own homes, visit them in any elder-care facility, or otherwise take care of their needs which went far beyond making sure they attended the meetings.

When I moved to Colorado, I became close to a family who treated me as though I were their fourth son. I helped in the care of the parents, even after those parents divorced and lived apart. The father and I had been particularly close and the only time I didn’t see him was when he had been disfellowshipped. Upon his reinstatement, I resumed my former role as adoptive son. His three natural sons also were dutiful in looking after him and all four of us made sure their mother’s needs were met as well. As a matter of fact, I was expected to help in getting them to doctor’s appointments, running errands, and transacting certain business matters as occasion demanded.

So I don’t think a blanket assertion can be made in response to this question. Doubtless, many of us know of cases of neglect that have ranged from benign to malicious; but even so, I can cite many other examples to the contrary. I also believe that elder neglect is a serious problem in the developed world, particularly in the United States. However, there are many other countries where the elderly are revered and honored and Witnesses would be no exception to this.

Quendi

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Good families take care of each other. Good people care for their neighbors.

Within the WT organization, the meaning of 'family' is re-defined. A familial connection with the Org. and the congregation is greater than the natural connections between parents/siblings/children. In Watchtower doctrine, it is a matter of loyalty (insert 'to the Organization' here) to our dedication to Jehovah God.

If a person becomes a Jehovah's Witness, he will gradually disconnect himself (physically and mentally) from his family and friends. As he grows old, he finds that his natural relationships with family members has weakened - sometimes destroyed. He now has no one else to turn to for aid - except from those in the congregation.

That's not what I call enjoying ones 'golden years'...

ginger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit