Has anyone else observed how the elderly JWs are neglected?

by Joepublisher1 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

I know there are exceptions to this (by good-hearted JWs), but has anyone else noticed how some JWs (even those who are pios, elders, etc.) neglect the needs of their elderly parents? (What I have seen is some JWs hiding behind the fact that they are very busy in spiritual matters, too busy, to help their elderly parents with chores around their house, yet they find plenty of time for their own selfish pursuits. They seem to be using these so-called spiritual obligations - field service, meetings, etc. - as an excuse, much like the Jews who would contribute towards Corban to get out of their scriptural responsiblity to take care of their aging parents.)

I would appreciate hearing about your observations...

• Londo111
    Londo111

And congergation members out the family neglect older ones too if they haven't been to meetings or field service in a while. Of course, if JWs could count there time doing this, there'd be no neglect at all!

• hoser
    hoser

Yes I agree. Once a person is no longer useful to the corporation they are abandoned

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Depends on the bank account.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

has anyone else noticed how some JWs (even those who are pios, elders, etc.) neglect the needs of their elderly parents?

Of course.

You can't count your time if you are helping your parents.

• nugget
    nugget

One elderly sister was in hospital for an extended period and despite pleas from the platform she had few visitors. She was practically blind and was in a side room at the hospital. She had no company, couldn't watch telly and only saw nursing staff when they brought meals and did routine care. It was like being in prison. I was truly shocked when I visited and realised that this poor woman was spending days on her own with no entertainment and no company.

My mum is not attending meetings as she can barely make it from her bed to her day chair, she has no visitors although plenty of family to boss around.

Once someone is no longer fit and active they are put to one side and forgotten. Witnesses have so much pointless work to do they don't want to take on any additional responsibilities. People are not seen as people but as how spiritual they are and how much they contribute to the work etc. This is a religion that strips people of their humanity.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Being elderly and still being considered a witness, I experience this first hand. My wife who is slightly older than I am attends regularly. She's infirm, as am I. Other than doctrinal nonsense, abuse and neglect of fellow witnesses is one of my "hot-button" issues. As the elders age and few young ones take there place, this issue will grow.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Old Goat, Hopefully the young ones will run for their lives and the entire pyramid will collapse in to a giant rubble heap.

Best,

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

This counting time excuse really bother's me - I hate it when I hear anyone say, "I have to get my time in" - knowing your parent(s) need more than just "token" assistance. And, as I mentioned, it seems they always find the time when it comes to personal pursuits/pleasures/entertainment/recreation. The priorities imposed by this organization are absolutely insane, but I also believe that some JWs use it as an excuse to get out of family responsiblities towards their aging parents! They ought to be ashamed of themselves!

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I don't know, Joepub, I've seen it both ways. In the first cong. I was in, there was a group of men who helped regularly with the physical needs of a brother with advanced ms, and his Mom was quite a handful to deal with, kind of unappreciative. I have seen in both congs I attended those that would assist the elderly, and those that were jerks, inc. elders wives. One incident stands out in my mind from the last hall. We were cleaning for the Memorial, and when I went to the ladies room to see what I could help with, there was an 80 something sister on her hands & knees cleaning the floor. 2 middle aged women, I know for certain at least one was an elders wife, can't remember if the second one was, it wasn't the warmest most welcoming cong., standing there talking. When I called those snots out on it, they brushed me off, saying that she did that for a living & was used to it. I was livid. Yes, I helped in that restroom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit