jwfacts or jwinterpretations?

by slimboyfat 118 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD
    TD I would say the quote you provide is good reason to conclude that Watchtower pronouncements are nothing to shape your life by.

I would agree, but my question was much simpler than that and didn't directly pertain to the content of the quote at all.

Is it true in the objective sense to claim that the quote I provided did in fact appear in The Watch Tower? In other words, is it a factual claim?

• never a jw
    never a jw

SBF

"There are no facts only interpretations" F. Nietzsche.

Therefore what? We don't exist, there are no events, no actions.

So foolish and pretentious to quote catch phrases that are devoid of any practical meaning. Go to a website that deals with philosophy. Most of us here, deal in the realm of practical knowledge.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is someone forcing you to read my thread?

• never a jw
    never a jw

SMBF

No, that's why I read your initial comment and three other ones, including the last one. I am done.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is it true in the objective sense to claim that the quote I provided did in fact appear in The Watch Tower? In other words, is it a factual claim?

I have not actually checked, as in look out the original, but I presume so.

• bohm
    bohm

Sbf : Not different. Unless you are God, how do you know for sure if Bob has a coin up his sleeve or not, or some other contingency that makes the situation different from what it might appear to any given participant or observer?

in which case, alice would still have changed her beliefs towards thinking thecoin may be fair, or bob is cheating her. She might rule out that option by flipping it herself.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe she is cheating too. The possibilities are endless. See how difficult it is to pin down reality with mere language?

• bohm
    bohm

Sbf: again, all you are doing is to take the scenario i gave, change it, and conclude the changed scenario support your idea. Thats not actually treating the scenario, nor is it intellectual honesty.

perhaps the problem is reading comprehension. For someone who has so much to say about epistomology, its a bit funny you treated td's question as one of evidence. Oh well... Or perhaps you are being meta: by not understanding basic questions, you try to show how useless language is.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In the scenario are Bob and Alice cheating or not? If not, then can I ask how do you know for sure?

• bohm
    bohm

Sbf: presumably bob and alice know if they are cheating themselves. My knowledge of their honesty does not affect how they behave; if alice seriously suspect bob might be dishonest, she could flip the coin herself. If you recall, alice thought the coin was loaded and came up tails every time. If upon flipping it 10 times it came up heads say 6 times, i see it as entirely uncontroversial that would tend to align alices view of the coin with bobs. The purpose of the experiment is to give a concrete example where experience will tend to align different views.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit