Ouija Board!!!

by XPeterX 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Cool blurry pics you put up, Jeffro.

I don't know myself about the supernatural; in fact, my hands are full already with dealing with what I can actually see and feel, I don't want to bother with Ouija boards or any of that silly stuff.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@jeffro You don't have to pander to anything, why not simply ignore it if you don't like it? Just saying you're coming across to me as arrogant on this and to be frank quite rude. Simply repeating the fact that you don't like it and don't accept another person's view of their own experience isn't going to persuade anyone. You're not asking questions about it or anything - it's a rant.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

GromitSK:

Simply repeating the fact that you don't like it and don't accept another person's view of their own experience isn't going to persuade anyone.

Not what I did. I stated why those beliefs are irrational in various posts. If people still want to believe irrational drivel, well, good on them.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Jeffro: You can call it drivel, but how do you know? And why are you so quick to dismiss it?

I have a theory. For atheists, it’s not enough to just not believe in a God; one also must reject both good and evil spirits, for if good and evil spirits existed, it would only be a short leap to assuming there also was a God.

Alas, it’s far easier to discover the existence of evil spirits than to discover the existence and will of God. Usually, all one has to do find out if evil spirits exist is hang around in the right places. One of the most haunted places in the world is the Fuji, Japan, National Park, one of the commonest places in the world to commit suicides. People go there to camp and, while there, they just vanish. Park police find their belongings there as if someone had left them and just walked away. Very spooky. Sometimes they find the bodies, while other times they don’t.

There are hundreds of such places all over the world.

• mP
    mP

But ouija boards were invented only 120 years ago...

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Cold Steel:

For atheists, it’s not enough to just not believe in a God; one also must reject both good and evil spirits, for if good and evil spirits existed, it would only be a short leap to assuming there also was a God.

It is true that many atheists reject the ridiculous notion of spirits for similar reasons that they reject the notion of God, but rejecting one isn't generally causative of rejecting the other.

One of the most haunted places in the world is the Fuji, Japan, National Park, one of the commonest places in the world to commit suicides. People go there to camp and, while there, they just vanish. Park police find their belongings there as if someone had left them and just walked away. Very spooky. Sometimes they find the bodies, while other times they don’t.

I don't see any evidence that the alleged disappearances are 'supernatural'. There could be a serial killer though.

It would be unsurprising that a place associated with scary stories might scare people, but that doesn't indicate anything supernatural about suicides or disappearances at all.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't believe in demons any more than I believe in the tooth fairy. Stories that people tell around the camp fire are not evidence to me. Even when I was a dub and believed in them, it seemed to me that most of what people thought of as proof of demon activity was just the result of an overactive imagination.

• poopieskoopie
    poopieskoopie

OK....in order to test this thing out (find out if it really works) you ask it a question you already know the answer to. ie:"What was Grandma's name?" Then you place your fingers on the divining pointer and guess what?? You find the indicator moving to spell out your Grandma's name or not. This probably depends on how much YOU want the board to work. After all it is your fingers on the guiding rod. Now, if the divining device moved all by itself that could be another story.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I’m not implying that anything killed them. I’m saying they go there to commit suicide, and there are 70-100+ a year who die there. The Aokigahara, or Jukai (“Sea of Trees”), Forest in fact, is so dense that the authorities only do a suicide sweep once a year, so it’s not unusual for visitors to stumble on bodies, or to see spirits.

Forest workers sometimes find bodies and bring them to the local stations for processing. They then play a simple game to see who has to sleep in the room with the corpse, as if it is left alone it is said to scream in the night and to search out the living for comfort.

Death in the Aokigahara Forest

The forest is said to be one of the most haunted areas in the world and the most haunted in Japan. It was featured on one of the Destination Truth episodes on television, and the show’s host, Josh Gates, while walking down a dark trail in total darkness with only a small light, swears he stepped around a tree and came face-to-face with a young Japanese man standing in the way. He quickly called for the cameraman, who had night vision apparatus, but upon scanning the area, no one was seen. Josh said the man could not have been there in the middle of the trail with no flashlight or other means of finding his way, nor was there anywhere to run. The forest is dark even in the middle of the day, and at night, one needs to have a light. The cameraman also later captured the image of a man, again with no flashlight of any kind, standing by a tree. Suddenly, as if the man was on an elevator, he just slipped into the ground.

Yeah, I realize such things can be faked, but there are so many stories of others that sound so eerily similar that in my view the stories are plausible. I’m not suggesting that one believe such accounts, but if they doubt them, find a place and investigate it. Look for old forts, old grave yards, old asylums, old prisons and, of course, battlefields. Asylums and prisons are especially productive if you want to investigate whether there are spirits or not. Or you can just sit around and pontificate about things you know nothing about. Don’t get me wrong. We need skeptics, but we need skeptics who are willing to be objective. And just because you don’t believe in spirits doesn’t mean you can go into an old prison or asylum and spend the night without being scared out of your mind. Or have your mind play tricks on you. So take photos, bring recording devices, extra batteries and don’t use Ouija boards, even if you think they’re nonsense. It may even be a source of fun to do things like that. But like Dr. John Markway says in the MGM classic, The Haunting, “A closed mind is the worst defense against the supernatural.”

Great movie. Another great quote by Markway:

“...When we become involved in a supernatural event, we're scared out of our wits just because it's unknown. The night cry of a child. A face on the wall. Knockings, bangings. What's there to be afraid of? You weren't threatened. It was harmless, like a joke that doesn't come out.”

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Cold Steel:

so it’s not unusual for visitors to stumble on bodies, or to see spirits

You (and others who make stupid 'ghost hunting' programmes) are just attaching superstitions to the frequency of suicides. It is probable that many suicidal people in Japan (who were going to kill themselves somewhere) go there to commit suicide because of existing superstitions about the place.

Yeah, I realize such things can be faked, but there are so many stories of others that sound so eerily similar that in my view the stories are plausible. I

You really don't understand why such fabricated stories are similar?

Look for old forts, old grave yards, old asylums, old prisons and, of course, battlefields. Asylums and prisons are especially productive

It is hardly a coincidence that people are scared and on edge when at a place where they know lots of people died, especially when the scared people already hold superstitious beliefs about 'spirits'. It is therefore unsurprising that people think they see something scary when they are scared.

Dr. John Markway says in the MGM classic, The Haunting, “A closed mind is the worst defense against the supernatural.”

That's a nice appeal to 'authority', quoting a fictitious doctor. Back here in reality, it 'seems' it's the best 'defense' (though skepticism isn't the same as closemindedness), and it's often argued by superstitious people that people who don't see 'spirits' are too 'close-minded'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit