comas seem to come and go

the word seems lonely by itself

let's employ a grammar elf

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I saw an elf chasing a coma down the street

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear Grammarians, for your support!

Yes, Meadow, I will sponsor you in the cause of good grammar, correct punctuation and literary diversity . . .

CoCo des Mots

• Meadow36
    Meadow36

Too cute!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Please note the various forms of punctuation used in the snippet news release below:

About 90 miles off Cape Hatteras, N.C., the Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members by helicopter from the HMS Bounty, a replica 18th-century sailing ship that sank in the storm.
    The Coast Guard searched for two other crew members. The ship was built for the 1962
    Marlon Brando film "Mutiny on the Bounty." --
    news.yahoo.com

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have read and read and read books and magazines and newspapers since my last post a month ago, and I cannot find a single instance of a period or comma OUTSIDE the end of quotation marks. Of course, there are exceptions (principally in British works), but I haven't found one as of the earlier post 28 days ago.

Latest ([...] Plums,"):

[...] Vincent Paronnaud’s brilliant 2007 adaptation of Ms. Satrapi’s two-volume autobiographical work, certainly fits into that category. And so does their new movie, “Chicken With Plums,” based on Ms. Satrapi’s book of the same title.

movies.nytimes.com

CoCo

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

That's my understanding, a comma or period goes inside the quotation marks.

Here's what the AP Stylebook says: "The period and the comma always go within the quotation marks," and "the dash, the semicolon, the question mark and the exclamation point go within the quotation marks when they apply to the quoted matter only." Otherwise, the -, ;, ? and ! go outside the quotation marks when they apply to the whole sentence.

I love the AP Stylebook.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Just in: headline from MercuryNews.com -- "

'Dancing With the Stars': Melissa perfect, Shawn flaunts rules, Kelly determined"

That's "flouts," folks. Shawn flouted the rules. A lot different than flaunting them.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The grammar hammer strikes again

is it foe or is it friend

there are rules we cannot bend

Will this torture ever end

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Hortensia and Nancy:

I appreciate the AP reference, Hortensia, and the flaunt/flout catch. I may have missed that one if left to my own devices!

Nancy, you are such a scamp, but your writing is so delightful that we all simply melt away in a gaggle of giggles and indulge you with a free pass on the Grammar Board Game!

Move on . . .

Gratefully,

CoCo sans faute

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit