More on Punctuation

by compound complex 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

LOS ANGELES (Reuters), 13 October 2012.

[...] Endeavour nosed out of Los Angeles International Airport before dawn on Friday to begin a two-day, 12-mile (19-km) journey atop a massive wheeled transporter to the California Science Center on the edge of downtown. The shuttle, which flew from 1992 to 2011, will become a tourist attraction at the center. [...]

[The underlined is an example of a non-restrictive clause, i.e., the information supplied is parenthetical.]

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

CC said:

The shuttle, which flew from 1992 to 2011, will become a tourist attraction at the center. [...]

[The underlined is an example of a non-restrictive clause, i.e., the information supplied is parenthetical.]

Well, if the information is 'parenthetical', then why isn't it contained within parentheses?

HA! You are trapped like a rat, caught in the snare of a punctuation trap of your own making!!

()

PS Why does JD Souther feel he doesn't need to use periods when abbreviating his name, i.e. J.D. Souther? What makes HIM so special, as if he's immune from the rules of punctuation?

Hypocrite, I say!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Uh-oh, the punctuation police are on patrol!

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

PS Why does JD Souther feel he doesn't need to use periods when abbreviating his name, i.e. J.D. Souther? What makes HIM so special, as if he's immune from the rules of punctuation?

KS,because he's JD Souther! I love his songs,especially "Black Roses White Rhythm and Blues." Feel free to correct my grammer.

• stillin
    stillin

Our language ought to be our servant, not our master.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Sounds like seditious talk, Stillin.

BTW, what in the Sheol is going on with your genitals? Are you packin' a sawed-off double-barrel down there?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Mr. King:

Your post is most appreciated.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/parenthetical-phrases/

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you’re explaining something in writing — such as which punctuation marks to use to signal a break in thought — and you want to make it clear to your readers (many of whom may never have realized that there are distinctions to be made). How would you do it?

I just did.

One of three basic strategies usually suffices to set a parenthetical phrase off from its root sentence. By “parenthetical phrase,” I mean one that constitutes a digression (or a clarification) — and, despite the name, it doesn’t have to involve parentheses.

I did it again.

You see, the mildest form of parenthesis, for when you want to quickly insert a detail without distracting the reader, is a subordinate clause: a nonessential phrase framed by a pair of commas. The preceding sentence includes a subordinate clause: the one that begins “for when” and ends “the reader.” If you temporarily remove that phrase from the sentence, its structural integrity remains intact. (Try it; I’ll wait — but don’t forget to put it back when you’re done.) The subordinate-clause parenthesis is one strategy.

There's more ... please read on, dear reader!

CoCo, Editor at Large

• compound complex
    compound complex

BTW, fine friends:

This thread is meant merely as an item of interest; the intent should not be construed as a personal affront to any board member. I, too, continue to learn as I await new light from the Great Grammarian in the Sky ...

Take what you want and leave the rest.

CC

• stillin
    stillin

sorry about my genitals King Solomon. That's a sensitive subject.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Punctuation can be very important, especially in formal writing. For a quick email, it doesn't matter as much. There is an amusing book on why it's important called Eats Shoots and Leaves; the title is a reference to an old joke about a panda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit