What REALLY Convinced You To Leave/Lose Faith in JWs?

by Recovery 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

OK good. Some people do come here and kick off being a WTS apologist but given enough time and exposure to FACTS end up with us... just like good old BANE (now Botzwana). So Recovery there may be hope for you yet... just be honest with yourself during this process.

I spent over £100 on books during my research and still buy them now if they look good enough (because, well, my research continues as it becomes kind of addictive...LOL), so dont be a cheapskate as knowing the TRUTH is worth a lot more than a few $s.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Recovery:

Everybody has a different reason and what finally pushes that red button inside their head. For me it was the 1995 changed teaching on generation.

I felt sucker-punched and the religion lost all credibility as far as I was concerned. Even the rude awakenings I had years earlier over their issues about women, modesty in dress, criticism of responsible working people weren't enough to make me wake up and finally smell the coffee. But this did it.

When this teaching came out in the magazine article, and the nonchalant way they just slipped it in, I was just shocked. They just insulted everybody's intelligence!! I was never the same after that and when 2000 came I found out the rest of the dirt on the religon on several internet sites and I also read a few books written by ex-JWs. Then it was really over in my mind.

As other posters pointed out, there is a lack of love and "harsh" treatment of certain ones (single women, others not in the popular cliques). There is a sick dynamic in this religion and once somebody's eyes are opened there is no going back.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Sheeesh, 1995 generation change what a bummer ...I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach. WTF didn't I do the research then and save myself another 14 years in the borg?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Recovery is clearly mentally ill and in need of some serious help. This is one troll we should immediately stop feeding. He will eventually implode and get banned.

-Sab

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

1975. My father, über jw that he is now, taught me if you see one lie there's bound to be more. He was right and I often wonder why he can't see it too.

• Recovery
    Recovery

Oh MAN Witness My Fury. I thought the WTS was going to take all my money. Guess I was wrong LOL

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS is a commercialized adulterated fraud that established itself on devious inspired professed misinformation to sell and proliferate its literature.

Its a house of fear mongering corrupt charlatans who exploits people's fears and insecurities as means to cultivate self assuming power and wealth.

And no, R Franz's books had nothing to do with myself leaving on my own free will, meaning I wasn't DFed or Da.

Recovery weren't you the person who started a thread on RF books then left without developing any debating discussion ?

You sure have some balls kid to bring up Ray Franz now !

• screwproof
    screwproof

For me it was the Scripture at John 3:16.

• Recovery
    Recovery

I suppose sebastious animosity stems from the verbal lashing he was given in the FDS thread. Maybe its time to move on. Calling me names wont change what the Bible says.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

What first got me really thinking wasn't the new 2010 definition of "generation" in itself, but the unsolocited reaction of several brothers and sisters to it in casual conversation. What I saw in them was their cognitive dissonance kicking in - confused, disappointed, even angry, but unable to openly express themselves. It was their grappling with their doubts that got me starting to question. . . .

From there I knew there were some things that didn't add up from the past that I had wondered about but shelved. The first was 607. Before I became an elder, I had started to research this but stopped as I kept finding contradictory evidence (history books, museums). I googled 607 587 and all sorts of apostate stuff came up. I wondered, What's going on here. .. but didn't look at any of the apostate stuff. I researched it on my own and came to my own conclusion.

I also started going through an old set of Studies in the Scriptures someone gave us and was both surprised and amused by early bible student beliefs. In the end, a pattern started to emerge; the same pattern that emerged when I studied "false religion" in books like Mankind's Search for God: in many ways, my religion was the same as the others. It's origins and doctrine could be completely described and explained in human terms. There was no need for a supernatural power overseeing or directing it. It was the result of men making shit up. From there, I revisited the bible. . . and the rest is history. . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit