What did God accomplish with the flood?

by jam 79 Replies latest social humour

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Bible tells us that Noah was a man "perfect in his generations". If that was true, then -- using the same logic as for Adamic sinful inheritance -- all of Noah's offspring (including you and I) would be perfect as well! But how did Noah become perfect when he was descended from imperfect Adam? That blows away the theory of Adamic sinful inheritance. So, either way we have no inherited sin! No need for a ransom sacrifice in that case, or Kingdom Halls!

This was my point on another thread, the most logically reason in a theological sense to dismantle this supposed event, let alone the

physical biological reasons to disprove this could not have actually happened.

What would be the practical reason to kill off the entire human race if the inherited sin from Adam was still with Noah and his family

and that mankind would just simply return to its pre-flood state ?

It was as pointed out by KS, this story was originally and intensional told as an embellished story told to cultivate power and relevance to the

Hebraic god YAHWEH, also as a probable reason to circumvent their own power and relevance in their position as recognized spiritual seers.

This kind of thematic expression, that if you obey and do good things or works in conjunction with recognized spiritual seer who are

representing a certain god or who do not do good things, these gods will take vengeful action against those ones , can be seen many

times throughout human history as well as many different ancient civilizations.

Call it ancient sociological behavior 101

• jam
    jam

I like to make this clear, those of you who are believers I

speak from the heart, I am not making fun of your belief.

But you have to admit there are a lot of inconsistencies.

I have said this before, if the Bible had only consisted of

the Gospel accounts.

• jam
    jam

Sorry folks, I must go outside to look for the Endeavor when

it flys over JPL.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Wow, Jam. That would be amazingly cool to see. I'm jealous.

• jam
    jam

Well I saw it, it,s last flight, pretty cool. Fying 1500 ft

of the ground in some areas.

Now back to our discussion.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I saw it too this morning. :)

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

bookmarking

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Heh, I should've headed towards Malibu to see it fly-by and render a salute, but I didn't. That'd be kind of bitter-sweet, as I saw it land many times while on the aeromedical astronaut recovery team at Edwards AFB, where'd we be on the flightline or on stand-by in Huey helos in the event the astronauts needed to eject and we needed to locate them and bring them back to base for aeromed evac to San Diego (if we couldn't handle their case at the base hospital). Ah, good times....

Anyway....

Glenster said:

"Noah tried for a long time to reach them for a change of heart to no avail."
    Can you back such a speculative statement up with scripture from the Genesis account? There's some reason to question if Noah preached a warning to anyone (2 Peter I believe makes a reference, as does Jesus), let alone whether they were prepared to handle anyone else on board (do you have any idea how much space a year's supply of fresh water and food it would take, for even one person?).

As a preacher, Noah must not've been very compelling, with zero converts (sounds like a modern-day JW who hopes for "not at homes"; maybe he wasn't trying THAT hard, realizing how it would create additional work for him, LOL!).

Actually, the koran's flood account rings a bit more probable, in that there WERE something like 60 other survivors (hence avoiding "bottle-neck" issues of genetics), but more survivors means more mouthes to feed, so it loses whatever ground it gained rather quickly. I remember it wasn't as long as the Bible account, though.

"God may give life, but it's a gift He doesn't have to give.  He owns it all so has the prerogative do what he wants with it with impunity, could see how criminals would fill the world if allowed to grow unchecked, and got rid of them."

It's easy to forget the significance of Gen 9:5, where God delegates the authority and responsibility to Noah to establish law over his fellow man by accounting for spilled blood (perhaps that's why Noah needed a stiff drink?). The Bible records no other interim laws being by God after "thou shalt not eat the fruit", so the antediluvian Earth as written was basically devoid of law, since men didn't have the authority to set up laws until AFTER the Flood (and of course, God handed down the 10 commandments, and Torahic law afterwards, but little good THAT did for the inhaibitants of the earth BEFORE The Flood.

So it was a "Mad Max" anarchistic environment (which ironically is referred to as "Post-Apocalyptic", when Biblically speaking, anarchy was actually the PRE-Apocalyptic (pre-Flood) antidiluvean state. That's kind of an interesting thing to consider, huh?).

So when you say how "criminals would fill the world if allowed to grow unchecked"? that begs the question, how can you have "criminals" when there has been no criminal law given to define what "crime" even is? And once again, which omniscient being forgot to give man laws, as if he didn't anticipate the need? What was his name again? YHWH?

I read Gen 9:5 as God's mea culpa, patching the problem of "evil in men's hearts" by allowing man to at least prevent murder until God could come up with the (9) other commandments much later to write on a tablet and give to Moses. Of course, the Torah was the work containing further refinements of law, coming much later (at least, as the story goes).

But back to the flood account, I suspect references to a pre-Flood World before law existed are actually remnants of the traces of a pre-historic time before men had established ANY system of laws, i.e. before traditions of law had been developed (much less written down, eg Sumerian Code of Ur-Nammu circa 2100 BC, or Urukagina, circa 2800BC).

I'm dangerously trespassing into Leolaia's area of expertise here, so Leo, feel free to crush me like a gnat if I'm out of line here, LOL!

Jam said:

I have said this before, if the Bible had only consisted of the Gospel accounts.

Well, don't forget that you'd also have to remove every reference Jesus made to the Flood (which he apparently believed in), as by all indications Jesus was trained as all young Jewish boys were in learning the traditions of, and memorizing the Torah; he was referred to as a rabbi as an adult, etc.

So there's the problem with using another faith's religious texts (Judaism's Torah) to write another work of fan-fiction (The Gospels): you also buy into the weaknesses and continuity errors of the original work, and as the Bible itself wisely warns, don't build your house on sand.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Jam said:

Gen.20;21 I will never again curse the ground and neither will I ever destroy every living creature as I have done.

Is this a apology from GOD? To me it,s a realization he made a mistake.

Technically, it's not an apology, but it sure is a sign of regret (an impossible emotion for an omniscient being to experience, as psychologists refer to regret as a "surprise" emotion). If a God who knows the future could anticipate their regret, then it raises question of whether they are all-powerful (omnipotent) to change their course of action! Of course, there are scriptures that say God is not a man, such that he can change his mind (Isaiah, I believe); so God sounds as trapped by the future as any mere mortal.

The thing to remember about the entire enterprise of sacrifice is it's based on contract law:

In a contract, one party promises to do something, and the other party accepts the offer, where something of value (called consideration) is exchanged to "seal the deal". That's the basis of sacrifice of animals: you give God a pleasing aroma (with a portion of the animal carcass as consider), and God promises to bless you in some way in return.

The rainbow is God's promise not to pull a repeat performance (vs Him simply showing one of the fruitages of His own spirit: self-control), and Noah offers God an animal sacrifice to "seal the deal".

Mankind paid back (atoned) for Adamic sin with Jesus' sacrifice (human sacrifice? OK, whatev...Who provided Jesus again? God? Don't think about it too hard, its goofy....), and everyone's happyfied and petting lions.

However, the whole concept of unequals writing contracts is ridiculous on it's face, since to what Supreme Court is mankind going to drag God, in order to seek redress and justice? In the end, God IS Judge, Jury, AND Executioner. That's hardly justice, with a "my way or the highway" version of justice. That's extortion.

So all the "striking contracts with mankind" sacrifice nonsense is basically done for show, which oddly enough is reflected by those here who basically say, "God can do whatever the Hell he wants". That's EXACTLY right, and I AGREE: that IS the way God is depicted in the Bible. A being who is accountable to no one but himself (and don't think about THAT too much, as statements like "God cannot lie" set pretty profound limits on his omnipotence).

It's a good thing God doesn't exist, as he's a bit of a bully the way he is scripted (and he's hardly worthy of worshipping, as much as needing to be pacified like our resident baby Finkelstein, who is very well-behaved in comparison).

• glenster
    glenster

"speculative"

I agree. Interpretation, maybe over-intepretation, on my part I can bend with:

Matthew 24:36-39 says, “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the
    angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will
    the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were
    eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah
    entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so
    also will the coming of the Son of Man be.”

Did he tell them and they didn't believe? He knew they turned from God so he
    didn't tell them figuring it would fall on deaf ears? Dunno. Mungo only pawn
    in game of life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

"how can you have 'criminals' when there has been no criminal law given to
    define what "crime" even is?"

Gen.6:5--people mainly wicked, evil
    Gen.6:11--earth corrupt and full of violence

My interpretation has it the reader is being told to bring to it at least a
    basic sense of ethics, so those things would mean an extreme case of people
    commonly overindulging the self at others' needless hurt and expense, unfair
    regard or treatment, as by lying, stealing, murdering, etc., without forcing
    specifics beyond basically that. As with another pre-flood Gen. story in which
    Cain is punished for the violence of murdering Abel, this would have been
    apparent by interpersonal ethics without messages from God or religious law
    defining these things (also noted at Rom.2:14-15).

"Jesus made to the Flood (which he apparently believed in)"
    Possibly, although the phrasing would be the same if he referred to an
    aspect of an allegorical story, so I won't force the point.

God as bully never concerns me--it's a faith matter that He's even there.
    I agree about wanting separation of church and state though I don't see the
    Noah story as particularly hinging on that one way or the other. For bullying,
    belief or non- belief as law of the land with punishments is more the problem,
    like institutionalized 'centric intolerance--blech.

"the koran's flood account rings a bit more probable."

Maybe, but I don't think the points depend on how literally you can take
    something like that except to a "fundamentalist literalist or nothing" forced
    choice. What is more bothersome to me regarding Muhammad is though Mosaic law of
    the land was over for Christians he, like a Roman emperor, didn't see the problem
    in reinstating such a thing. I think he picked the wrong testament to emulate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit