Anthony Morris III... Did he really serve in Vietnam? Something doesn't quite add up...

by Calebs Airplane 76 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

1. For those on this forum who are genuine conscientious objectors, and I have no doubt that there are many, the data provided by this case might be interesting to contemplate. The Joseph Parisi case remains a precedent setting case. It might have been that Joseph Parisi determined the outcome of the Anthony Morris case, or the Joseph Parisi case is the Anthony Morris case. While some of the details in the Parisi case do not mesh exactly with our "hearsay" record, it's amusing to think that someone of Italian descent ends up as "Anthony Morris III".

Anthony Morris:

Joseph Parisi (from a twitter account):

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

There is no 'Fast track' to pioneering. The rule is nothing but one year of baptism. The vietnam era had stringent hour requirments though, due to the war and people trying to get deferments.... That said im curious About his service as well, although it means nothing in relation to his role as head of the publishing company.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Justnowout, my interest in this thread has nothing to do with the ins and outs of pioneering.

However, the Watchtower Society's practice of using aliases for some of their prominent people does interest me.

It is a matter of public record that the Society has had people who are not who they say they are in positions of power.

From page 48 of the court transcript for the Olin Moyle trial 1940-43 (you can find the full trial at archive.org):

“I would like to have the fictitious part of the name omitted and his true name stated as Thomas J. Sullivan”

“Another defendant is mentioned fictiously as "Charles A.” Wise. I ask that it be corrected”*

*note - the court record does not say what “Charles A.” should be corrected to – just “Motion granted”. Who really was Charles. A. Wise?

"There is a fictitious name of “Malcom” A. Howlett. I understand his name is “Matthew”."

I don't think that Anthony Morris III is who he claims to be. When this thread was still active, I wasn't a member yet on this forum but I did find the above photo that I posted, connected to a twitter account a while back, that was registered to a 'Joseph Parisi'. The photo of Joseph Parisi is defintely a look-alike younger version of Morris.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

However, the Watchtower Society's practice of using aliases for some of their prominent people does interest me.

I don't think that Anthony Morris III is who he claims to be. When this thread was still active, I wasn't a member yet on this forum but I did find the above photo that I posted, connected to a twitter account a while back, that was registered to a 'Joseph Parisi'. The photo of Joseph Parisi is defintely a look-alike younger version of Morris.

It could be something like this. He use to be Joseph Parisi, then became A,M. III after he was born again as one of THE JW 144,000. (something like Saul because the Apostle Paul) Anthony Morris III is his chosen Jehovah Witness pope name.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Folks could/can? join the military at age 17. My dad did. He was born with and died with the same name though. Really, these guys are running a religion that is based on outright untruths and claiming a superiority to the rest of humanity. He is part of a very corrupted organization. Whether or not he served in the military is truly not going to improve or degrade anyone's opinion of him, is it? I mean. . .really?

Parisi does look a lot like Morris, but the lady who claimed to be grand duchess Anastasia used a physical resemblance in her claims and was ultimately shown to be a fraud (although her mental health issues were such that I don't know she made fraudulent claims knowingly. I think there were others orchestrating it for their own purposes).

Morris, by any other name and whether or not a vet-is part of a douchebag organization and promotes it willingly and knowingly. If he served a term in Vietnam, then, ok. So did my uncle Mike. So what? If he isn't angling for VA benefits, I don't really care.

• kepler
    kepler

Happened to notice how this topic was picked up a few days ago, based on photos with an uncanny resemblance.

But before I ventured to say anything, I thought I would re-read all the posts, including mine.

A couple years ago I tried very hard to see if there was any public record of what Mr. Morris was talking about when he spoke of his militar, Vietnam and military judicial experiences. That turned up a null. But there were other conscientious objector cases - and the one that was most similar was that of Anthony Parisi.

Mr. Parisi's public record I related in the preceding pages and I compared it with what Mr. Morris was reported to have said - or else his ruminations on warfare and the pains of tribulations yet to come...

I still am not sure if Parisi and Morris are the same person.

But what if they were? What are we to carry away if Morris's military and judicial records are actually those of Mr. Parisi?

To start. Mr. Parisi began his career with an intent to serve as a medic, but declined when he received his orders to report to Vietnam. I do not mean to pass judgment on his decision about whether to go to Vietnam or not, but I want to point out that Mr. Parisi did NOT go to Vietnam. His subsequent claims in judicial reviews were based on his new-found religious reservations. Subsequently, Parisi was dealing with incarceration and not military campaigns or aiding the injured in the field. After reviews the military relented and Parisi disappeared from public view.

Now years later, we have someone who MIGHT be Parisi head of a religious body or a member of its governing board. He frequently relates stories about his service in the military and how he recalls the furies of hostile fire and the smell of death and destruction. He exhorts his audience to think about the far greater magnitude of such death and destruction awaiting in the time of trial and tribulation, emphasizing the near universality of this retribution and death.

Possibly this is the same man, but it is not any type of conscientious objector with which I would want to be associated with.

In either case, as an unknown Mr. Morris or as a Mr. Parisi in hiding, that this man is a screened and vetted member of a governing board turns the concept of vetted leadership on its head. If Morris is an alias, then his board identity is a deceit. And if Morris is simply Morris, it looks much the same as well: a selection that is so indefensible that no evidence is submitted to the community "overseen" that he has any real credentials related to leadership, administrative skills, philosophy, sober reflection ... Anything that you would want your children to imitate or aspire to.

He will talk at your convention though.

• kepler
    kepler

I should some remarks where the stories of Parisi and Morris seem to diverge. This account was presumed to relate to Tony Morris:

In the interim, he and his wife became special pioneers, and he was granted recognition as a minister. But the law still required that he serve his ten-month sentence. Finally he received a letter offering a suspended sentence if he would plead guilty. "I told them I could not do that, since I was innocent," explained Tony. He braced himself to go to jail. To his surprise came a letter stating that the justices of the High Court had analyzed the case and had thrown it out of court on a technicality! Tony felt blessed for declining to ‘live by the sword.’

The above account does not supply Tony with a surname.

And on page of this thead, my search for records of Parisi ended with his appeal process actually failing. He was sentenced to serve at Fort Leavenworth at hard labor for about two years beginning in April 1970, a consequence of failing to board a flight bound for Vietnam as required by orders. My reading of the account was that he did serve time and that it began with stockade time in California.

Possibly his sentence was shortened, but sounds to me like he started serving.

Yes, confusing. Especially if we are discussing the same individual.

• steve2
    steve2

I love the ease with which people far and wide re-invent themselves. It gives me hope. One day I will stand before a great crowd of admirers and spin stories of my exploits from the austere and distance past. Something brave and courageous would do me fine.

I will forget my brazen acts of cowardice and spite that stamp me as a slow-learning human, flawed to the bone and scared shitless in the early morning hours of each morning. Who me?

And as for the hidden sexual exploits that stamped my younger adulthood...they are erased already.

I will shine like a spiritual Robin Hood who has not only seen the light, but isthe light. I will think seriously about a name change - oh the endless nomemclature possibilities - and as easily, play fast and loose with the facts.

Then I will take my composed new self off to Patterson, knock on a few doors, tell my story without blushing and sit comfortably among men who reconstruct truth the way white collar criminals reconstruct their consciences.

This will not happen overnight but happen it will. The spirit of Jehovah stirs in me even as I write this. I have a marvellous model to follow in the meantime. I'm off to a Prince concert.

• fulano
    fulano

He should be ashame of his life instead of using his vietnam career to obtain importance.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

On another thread, I read that his birth name is possibly Anthony Esposito. But I couldn't anything under that name either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit