No more 3-day DCs starting in 2013?

by respectful_observer 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

If this is true, perhaps there will be a mixture ... some at Assembly Halls ... some at rented locations ... the nearest Assembly Hall for my area is nearly 400 miles away. However, I did overhear a couple of brothers at the convention commenting on how the contract was up this year and wondering what was in the works.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In places such as here in South Florida with a huge service/hospitality industry, having one of the District Assembles on a Monday/Tuesday would be welcomed by many since they could attend on days that are typically slower in their place of employment (restaurants, bars, retail stores, etc.).

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

Shoot, if they're shifting all their literature to the web, why not have virtual assemblies?

Go to the assembly hall, everybody watches the GB & other Bethel heavies give the main talks via streaming video. Maybe still have a handful of locals give talks of lesser importance.

No travel costs for visiting speakers at all, no rental fees for outside venues. Expenses cut to virtually nil, and contributions expected to remain the same or increase. Seems like a no-brainer.

I think the US "zone visit" last fall was a trial run for this type of thing.

I expect they'll add a paypal / similar link to JW.org sometime soon. When you download your latest "Caleb" video, there will be bold and direct "reminders" of your "privilege" to donate for them.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    I believe assemblies/conventions will continue to be shorter in duration as the W/T is running out of things to say and witnesses are tuning-out that which they've already heard 100 times over.

I couldn't agree more with Incognito's take. How the conventions ever fill 3 days is beyond me - there's never anything new, it's the same regurgitated pablum over and over - do they still do the condensed version/wrap-up of the week's WT study? Since most of the talks end up in a WT six months after the DC, what's the point in even having the assembly in the first place? These fests, I believe, are just an excuse to give the rank and file dubs something to focus on while the rest of the world looks forward to Christmas/Easter/name your favorite holiday of choice - otherwise life in JW land is exceedingly dull. The announcement at the end of each assembly as to what the gb are planning for the following year is to keep the next assembly in view...now they're not even giving that out? Hopefully this is another sign that the whole religion is heading for the crapper.

In my discussions with still-in friends, who are all getting older, people are starting to open up about how they REALLY FEEL - I hear more about the tiredness, the inconvenience, the cost of gas, the long days, and just how stressful these wastefests are than any excitement over new things learned or fellowship with the brothers. Hah, what fellowship? Every family sits alone eating their homemade lunches and by the time they're finished, it's almost time to head back to your seats, now that the music has started...(this from memory of the last DC I attended)

I don't think it will be too much longer before the whole charade of the "happiest people on earth" collapses.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Sir82, I'm shocked they haven't done that yet. I guess they have in year's past done that phone connection for 1 or two talks but it would make sense to do it for a large part of the program if they wanted to.

As for the rumor, it's something many have been thinking about for awhile but I'll believe it when I see it. The only reason they would move it to 2 days is if they could make a bigger profit margin.

Attendance is usually lower on Friday so many JWs have already made this a 2 day deal.

I was more shocked at them downsizing the CBS than any of the other moves we've seen in the last 10 years. I guess I was so shocked at that one because there wasn't a real monetary need to do that. I think that move was due to the shortage of 1) conductors and 2) people willing to host the meeting. That one is real insight into the mindset of the modern day JW (at least in the developed world).

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I think the SAD will be discontinued and we'll just have two CA's a year and no more DC. From a buisness standpoint, this makes sense...and the WT is a buisness that needs to cut costs. Good point Incognito! Cancelling the SAD will make room for an extra CA (formerly know as the DC)

• sir82
    sir82

I don't think they'll discontinue the SAD. They've made a big deal about how the Israelites had to travel to Jerusalem "3 times in the year" for the various festivals, so for symbolic reasons they'll keep 3 distinct events.

Maybe they'll do 2 SADs and a 2-day event, to keep from overbooking the assembly halls?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've heard this rumor a couple (2-3) years ago among Bethelites that they were planning on redirecting the 3 day assemblies. This rumor was repeated again last year and this year on this forum.

There may be something to it, it would save them an ass-ton of money. Rent and parking is easily $10k/year for 3 or 4 conventions at a venue (not $10k/day as they would have you believe). Assembly halls are already being only half-used, most of the summer there are no circuits. It wouldn't surprise me if they started using these properties on weekdays as well for conventions.

In Europe these costs are even worse, they easily go $100k/year but the venues also hold upward of 15,000 people (and those aren't the international conventions).

• VM44
    VM44

Two day conventions?

Remember the SEVEN-DAY conventions?

They lasted from 9am to 9pm.

To attend was a test of endurance!

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

I'm assuming this to be true, since there are so many point of views that agree with each other. It's certainly a welcome change...three days back to back were such a drag. But I agree - seven days, 12 hours each day...that is a test!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit