No more 3-day DCs starting in 2013?

by respectful_observer 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

Well, if this is true, then the pitch of the S.S. Watchtower's deck has just become a little steeper. Maybe it won't be too long before we start seeing the furniture sliding? After all, the organization hasn't cared in the past about the expense, time, wear-and-tear and bother they've put Witnesses through to attend summer conventions. Why would it be concerned now? But if donations are drying up and growth in developed countries is stagnating or even contracting, then this development might be another sign that "the end is near"--the end of the WTS, that is!

Quendi

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Don't most Assembly Halls just sit idle during the summer DC season? Ours does. Summer is when the repairs and remodels are done. Thus, it would be easy to have additional 2-day assemblies there for probably 13 weekends during the summer months.

This all kinda shocks me as I thought Dist Convs were big money makers for WTS. But if you can bring in the same revenue and use your own facilities across the country and save the cost of renting other facilities, it's a win-win. Dist Conv were already getting smaller and smaller. Plus they can just set the price at the Assm Halls and do not have to gamble on how much will come in with "voluntary" contributions. Assm Hall "fees" are set by WTS and they can always institute some modest increases each year.

There must be a SERIOUS money crunch going on.

Doc

• elderelite
    elderelite

Again, all speculation on my part, but it makes some sense. Will be interesting to see and i hope its true :D

• sir82
    sir82

If true: A reaction to the Conti case?

As has been mentioned, it would be far cheaper to use the already built and paid for assembly halls rather than rent out large sports complexes.

However, if true, it would be a huge blow to the psyche of JWs, at least as big, if not bigger, than losing the Bible study meetings in individual homes. So many people look forward to the convention - for the more pathetic JWs, it is the absolute highlight of their year.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know, around here jws stay in hotels for the 2 day circuit conventions and some for the special day at the assembly hall even if they live only 45 minutes away. It doesn't matter what the rank and file want. If the WTS says jump, they have to say how high.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I was thinking about this and the special "district conventions" they had this year and maybe the policy will be to have several of those for the select congregations and the rest will have something for 2 days only. That way they can strategically place the conventions and not have to worry about having so many.

• Room 215
    Room 215

They're already holding District Conventions at Assembly Halls ... Turnersville and Jersey City, NJ are two examples.... If they do the math and calculate that the savings by going this route are greater than any earnings from public venues, hotels, etc. then they'll find ways to make it happen.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nice way to further level things down. They make everything so blah. At least, despite the wastes of time and money, when you travel you get to mix with people outside your normal range. With local Great Boasting Sessions replacing the Grand Boasting Session, you are stuck with the same crowd of maybe 1500 people to mix with. This is not going to get anyone out of the narrow rut. As it is, it's already a big deal when you get relatives from out of town to show up at the Kingdumb Hells or in field circus, which may lead people to be channeled into being attracted to same-sex 8 year old nephews or nieces of someone's teacher. And now this.

One day is soon going to look like any other. Week after week, boasting sessions and field circus in regular patterns, all the same. No wonder people are tired of life in that religion. And Jehovah has the nerve to insist that looking outside the arrangement is a sin? Shows that Jehovah really wants to narrow people into damnation--I think I will stick with Satan.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Mispost

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Still another person who works in the hospitality industry (not a JW) was told by the local DC venue that the JWs had pull out of their contract for next year's DC.

Awesome news! They are still going to have to do a lot of rentals for the two days, they don't have the capacity in Assembly Halls alone. But cutting from three to two days and jamming those existing halls full will save some serious $$$$$$. Plus the savings from renting bigger venues.

Magazine cuts, selling off Brooklyn, branch closures, and possibly dropping DCs? Talk about serious cost cutting giong on! Maybe they are in deep, deep, shit with some more molestation cases!

Heres an idea that will get plenty of people pi$$ed. Have some of the assemblies on Thursday and Friday. Make the loyal JWs burn up their vacation days. Double use of the hall that week!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit