IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

But tec...who are you aiming that comment at? We are asking if he is real....we are asking if there could be a sign or something...but that comment isn't aimed at us???????

The comment that I made is aimed at anyone, everyone, and in general. Believer/non-believer alike.

If you know he is real, does that mean you know what he wants? If you know what he wants, does that mean you're going to agree and do what he wants?

Does proof that God is real tell you which version of Him is real?

LOL tec....How do you KNOW that?

By what they say. Some might just be saying that they believe in God; but others do believe in God, but only think that they are following him.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Not true...we cannot judge the person doing the writing of the NT...we don't know who they were.

But we CAN test what is written, even without knowing the author of what was written.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

tec...post 8436

the gospels and witness accounts are a good place to learn about Christ ....tec

this is where I got the idea that you said we could trust them...or should we not trust them?

There is no evidence to show that these were witness accounts...only writing by people we don't know, telling us what they want us to hear. AND their opinions.

• still thinking
    still thinking

OK tec...my head is starting to go ..... and .....

• still thinking
    still thinking
    If you know he is real, does that mean you know what he wants? If you know what he wants, does that mean you're going to agree and do what he wants? ...tec
    Does proof that God is real tell you which version of Him is real?....tec

I like these questions tec.......these are my kind of questions...care to answer them? I don't have the answers.

• mP
    mP

lvl101

imho paul is a composite, i find it particular strange that he changed names, after all why does it matter? the name change as i see it might have been to have some believe paul of tarsus was actually somebosy else. we have seen similar tactics where the catholics changed the story of mary just a bit so all followers of isis in egypt became part of the church. with one small change and entire network network of church properties and clergy became part of the catholic church under its control. the costs were minimal, the old properties, idols and all didnt need any changes. the scriptures about jesus having brothers were ignore which wasnt hard as most common ppl didnt have their own copies and couldnt read anyway.

funnily enought pauls trip to rome, shipwreck, journey path, key people are not uniquely his. exactly the same trip occured to josephus.

another interesting religious character who was very popular at the time was apollonius of tyana. strangely he too performed miracles, and also lived much of his life in tarsus. hee too went to arabia and the east. on his return he travelled to exactly the same places as paul, preaching to everyone. was sauls name changed to paul so appollonius followers would think they were the same person ?

another interesting thought i have wondered how exactly did paul persecuteearly members of church? with what autyhority and what ,troops? back then there were many groups of judaism, pharisees, gnostucs, essens and i think saducees. the fact is only josephus had military authority and he as a traaitor could and would have known who and where to persexute the militant jews.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    The comment that I made is aimed at anyone, everyone, and in general. Believer/non-believer alike.
    If you know he is real, does that mean you know what he wants? If you know what he wants, does that mean you're going to agree and do what he wants?
    Does proof that God is real tell you which version of Him is real?

I just notice that whenever someone claims to know what God wants, their version of what God wants seems to coincide with their own desires and what THEY want.

• tec
    tec

this is where I got the idea that you said we could trust them...or should we not trust them?

Okay, well you have to decide for yourself whether you can trust them or not.

I think they are a good place to learn about Christ. They corroborate one another on his teachings; they give witness to the existance and life of Christ. They might not all be first-hand witness testimony... and instead some have written down that first hand witness testimony that others have shared to them. Paul is first-hand though, not to Christ in the flesh, but to Christ in spirit... and to others who knew Christ in the flesh.
    There is no evidence to show that these were witness accounts...only writing by people we don't know, telling us what they want us to hear. AND their opinions.

Well, we can assign motives to people all day long, and also be wrong all day long. There is no evidence that they're telling us what they want us to hear, or just giving us their opinions either. Could just as easily be people telling us what they have heard or seen, and sharing it with us.

Peace,

tammy

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well Idefinatley can't read 22 pages to catch up with this post, but I guess if in those 22 pages, someone had discovered proof of God, I would have heard about it on the news.

If truth be had, we are only able to contemplate if god exists or not through some amzing things happening in our universe; we exist and can ask the question.

Existance itself is amazing, even the existance of just time and space. It doesn't prove there is a god. But it does prove there is something. I exist therefore I am. There is something there and not nothing. Either a universe exists where there are amazing infinate possibilites, or we exist because everything exists or because in a world where things pop in and out of existance, anything can happen. And here we are.

• tec
    tec

I like these questions tec.......these are my kind of questions...care to answer them? I don't have the answers.

LOL... I did give my answers to them.

Knowing that God is real is not the same as knowing what God wants. Knowing what God wants does not mean that you will agree or even DO what God wants. So a sign that God is real is not going to get the world to do His will. Which is most important... knowing he is real and not doing his will? Or doing his will, and not knowing he is real?

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit