IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@OnTheWay:

I will be glad I didn't waste this life kissing His ass just so I could spend eternity kissing His ass.

Well said, I spent some time really thinking about the paradise last year that the bible promises; but then when I put it in the context of a mellenia of meetings and bible studies, reporting to some heirarchy each week and having no real freedom and preparing for armageddon part II, it really makes me wonder if a good life now is the better deal. I mean if it was so great in heaven with God then how come 1/3 of all angels defected? They certainly did not have all the uncertaintainty that we had about things and yet they left.

• dog is god
    dog is god

Anyone can convince themself or be convinced by others because of their personal/emotional/whatever needs. If you are "convinced" of something = believing something. To me that is totally different than "knowing" something. "Believing" needs no proof. My mom, a extremist JW believer made a shocking comment in the WT study years ago. She said that "God" could just be a mass of energy somewhere billions of light years away and not like humans at all. (Thanks to her watching Star Trek on TV). Boy, was she shut down quickly. I really wish people would stop "humanizing" an entity we "know" nothing about. Or if there is an "entity". Maybe it is just a thing...like a cog in a wheel. Why don't we just stop worrying about something we can do or "know" anything about. Just livel

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

Amen to that Dog

The thing is everyone's journey is their own and within in their own timeframe.

BTW I like your mum's thinking

• sabastious
    sabastious
    They can be induced in the lab very precisely and although they exist only in the mind of the subject, to them they are totally real.
    Aaron’s Staff Becomes a Snake

8 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 9 “When Pharaoh says to you, ‘Perform a miracle,’ then say to Aaron, ‘Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh,’ and it will become a snake.”

10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs. 13 Yet Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the LORD had said.

A striking resemblance. Cofty is exhibiting the exact same behavior as the ancient Pharaoh in the Exodus story. This state must have already been accounted for because YHWH seems to know how Pharaoh is going to behave beforehand. In the Game both parties must exhibit mastery of their surroundings or else the winner is automatically assigned to the one that can. Cofty is saying that science has shown mastery of it's surroundings and therefore cannot be challenged without an equal or stronger sense of mastery. But the real question is why male models?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkVQoe2fEEA

-Sab

• sizemik
    sizemik
    If you were rich and needed someone to manage your estate and oversee all of your children... would you put your estate in the hands of someone who is going to carry out your will, or someone who is not? . . . tec

A false analogy Tammy. The rich man hires according to a job description ie; to manage his estate and oversee his children. If that is known to the employee and he refuses to comply then you are right. Like the employee, I need the job description . . . from him. Otherwise how can I comply?

You can only do God's will if you know him and can hear him speaking to you. He doesn't speak to those unwilling to do what he wants, even though what he wants is a mystery to them. I can't see how this is not circular.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Sizemilk - I've read through all the comments and yours seems to me to make the most common sense. I don't think it's too much to ask for a little proof. When I say proof I'm not referring to the bible, a book written by men, I mean actual proof.

I think still thinking was asking people how you know, not why you believe. Because an inner voice makes you feel calm doesn't explain knowing.

• mP
    mP

SAB

Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake

MP

How is it that the egyptian magicians also had powers to change their sticks into snakes ? Wouldnt they have more shame if their sticks remained sticks ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If a Being turns up at Phizzy Castle one day and says to me "I am the supreme being", I would have a lot of questions to ask, the main one being the problem of Evil, if he has the power, why do nothing?

Or put another way, where were you during the Holocaust ?

The other question I would ask is "How do you know you are the Supreme Being ?"

There may be another one above you who is just as secretive and good at hiding as you have been, but superior to you.

Even if "he" gave me satisfactory answers to those questions,which I doubt in the extreme, it would make no difference to my life now or in the future, I would certainly not be moved to worship that Being.

• mP
    mP

The simplest way to disprove that God answers prayers is to ask then why would he listen to a well to do westerner, and completely ignore a continent of starving Africans? Are we to believe that God gives priority to rich westerners who want more and completely ignores dying Africans who probably pray many times more because they are hungry and almost dead ?

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@Phizzy

Majik Workers and their ilk always have been a secretive independent bunch

None more so than Creators of Space and Time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit