Aboriginal Australians Aren't Black?!

by Philadelphia Ponos 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

It's very rare that I visit this site these days and even rarer that I start a thread, but ever so often I see a comment so outrageous that I just have to respond. In a thread entitled "Are Black People more emotional than White People", the op made the following comment concerning the lack of "black people" in Australia:"We have the Australian aboriginal people butthey are a different race more related to white people I beleive." The bad spelling and grammer isn't the only thing wrong with this sentence. To my suprise no one corrected this statement in the thread. The following photos show how Aboriginal Australians looked prior to intermarriage with Europeans.

A documentary entitled "The First Australians" discuss the genocide of the Aborigines people and the racisim they had to endure. In the documentary you'll see that throughtout Australian history the Aborigines have always been considered black. When segregation was legal in Australia the signs would read "Whites Only" or "No Blacks". "Blacks" of course reffering to the Aborigines people.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Go and google "Caucasian" and you'll see that the term refers to more than blue-eyed blondes.

Google is your friend.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I was watching a documentary on an Australian prison and they showed some Aboriginal guys who by the way I gotta kick out of when they were fiending for some kangaroo tail. At any rate, one of them was interviewed and he considered himself a, black man. Kinda surprised me, but the more I thought about it, made sense. He is in fact darker than those running thangs over there, and he's a second class citizen in most respects to his not so dark contemporaries. So why not consider himself simply, black? Especially since the Aboriginal people's treatment is very similar if not exactly the same to both black's and Native American's treatment here in the States.

Me personally though, call it a stereotype, but I love fried chicken and I'm a black man. Do the Aborigines eat fried kangoroo tails?

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

@ Broken Promises

I don't understand your point. Are you saying you see caucasian features in the photos I posted? If so please point them out because I don't see them.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hang on..... what's the definition of "black"?

As in having African heritage?

No, the Australian Aborigines do not directly come from Africa. They come from the Caucasians that were living in India 10s of 1000s of years ago. They made their way across the Indonesian straits to Australia.

Other peoples have mixed with the Aborigines, such as as Papua New Guineans and they have a different "look" to the average Aussie Aboriginal.

BUT... if you want to go back far enough, we ALL come out of Africa. So does that make us all "black"???

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes it does my sista

• Philadelphia Ponos
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

F that, Jonsie, I'm all Neanderthal, baby ;)

(yes, I know we share common descent with Neanderthals, just go with me on this one)

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

(to MrsJones) ^^^ Hehehe...

As for Neandertals, I often see people (especially men for some reason) who look like they have more than the average amount of Neandertal in them. I wouldn't be surprised if they're closer cousins than we actually thought.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, neanderthal...sounds sorta sexy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit