Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

My theory (or belief) is that there is a God or entity that we cannot comprehend, that is just watching and observing.

Evolution did occur, but it was orchestrated by this unknown entity we call God.

Everyone, during there life, has the opportunity to do good to others, to love, to be a good person. And if we can tap into that goodness and love in our life everyday, at our passing we can reside in the infinite consciousness that is not of this earth. Only then we will fully understand the meaning of life.

If we do not do good deeds, and have hate in our heart, we begin the process again, same soul, different body, but with no recollection on our previous life/life's. This process can be infinite, until we dig deep into our present consciousness, and understand the real meaning of Jesus words.

I believe Jesus was a prophet, and the record of his works are accurate, but people have taken it too literal, and not spiritual enough. As for the rest of the bible, the jury's out for me on that one. The Hebrew scriptures may well have been written as a metaphor or to illustrate the darkness that man has spiritually. As for the Greek scriptures, i believe everyone back then took Jesus words as literal as we do today. They didn't grasp the Actual spiritual aspect of it.

Like i said, that's where i stand on my belief right now. This no doubt might change in the coming years.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    My theory (or belief) is that there is a God or entity that we cannot comprehend, that is just watching and observing.
    Evolution did occur, but it was orchestrated by this unknown entity we call God.

So, was this incomprehensible entity just watching and observing or actively orchestrating evolution (because it still happens today, meaning he is still actively doing stuff).

What evidence is there for this entity?

If we do not do good deeds, and have hate in our heart, we begin the process again, same soul, different body, but with no recollection on our previous life/life's. This process can be infinite, until we dig deep into our present consciousness, and understand the real meaning of Jesus words.

Why do you think that is the case?

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Today, he is watching and observing, but at the begining of life/creation he set the rules where things can evolve.

There is no evidence, as he never steps in. No miracles, no divine intervention.

I think that this conclusion, to me anyway, helps me to be a better person, and if everyone followed this way of life we would have peace love and eternal happiness. Yes, we would still die, but our reward would be an immortal soul where it can bask in the infinite consciousness.

I agree, my theory or belief has cracks in it, but my journey seperate to JW beliefs has taken me down this path. I am willing and open to explore any amount of beliefs and traditions with the freedom of thought that the JWs so vearmantly oppose.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Today, he is watching and observing, but at the begining of life/creation he set the rules where things can evolve.
    There is no evidence, as he never steps in. No miracles, no divine intervention.

Why do you believe this if there is no evidence for it?

I think that this conclusion, to me anyway, helps me to be a better person, and if everyone followed this way of life we would have peace love and eternal happiness.

Why would everyone be better if they believed this? Why should anyone believe this with no evidence?

I agree, my theory or belief has cracks in it, but my journey seperate to JW beliefs has taken me down this path.

It simply has zero evidence of any kind and no way to get evidence. It's not a crack or hole, it's lacking any substance to have a crack in it.

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Steady on, it's this direction that i'm gravitating towards.

Looks like you still got that judgmental JW mindset. I clearly stated this is my belief right now, but am open to any other theories.

The only evidence based belief system is Atheism, and i'm not at the right stage of my life to accept this as fact, although i do accept it is plausible.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Looks like you still got that judgmental JW mindset. I clearly stated this is my belief right now, but am open to any other theories.

Looks like you've no idea what you're talking about. Please explain how asking questions about your belief, which you decided to publicly post on a religious discussion forum, is being judgmental? Please explain how pointing out obvious holes, which you admit exists, in your beliefs, is being judgmental?

Please explain why you decided, when you are unable to answer even the most basic questions about your belief, which you decided to bring up, is a reason for you to begin insulting people willing to have a discussion with you.

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Ok, point taken. Sorry for the hostile behavior.

Your points:

Why do you believe this if there is no evidence for it?

Because i still want to believe in something more, i want to think that this isn't all there is. I think it's a pretty good halfway point for me to think that evolution did occur, but there was something that orchestrated it. Something put into the very fabric of cells that enable them to evolve even today.

Why would everyone be better if they believed this? Why should anyone believe this with no evidence?

If the "reward" for good deeds and a selfless attitude was there, and everyone believed it, there would be no wars, a lot less hungry, and equality for all. I think for the argument of whether there is a God or "higher being", or not will never be solved. On one hand you have "evidence" saying evolution happened; but that does not mean that there wasn't something that set the whole process in motion. In the same vane, there is no solid evidence saying there is "higher power" behind it all, although i am willing to accept that this could be the case.

Sorry again for my negativity before.

• cofty
    cofty

So how would that look any different from no god at all?

How would you defend your belief from one quick swipe of Occam's Razor

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Because i still want to believe in something more, i want to think that this isn't all there is. I think it's a pretty good halfway point for me to think that evolution did occur, but there was something that orchestrated it. Something put into the very fabric of cells that enable them to evolve even today.

OK, but why THIS specific belief with re-incarnation? Why this deism for which there is no evidence? Why not aliens?

If the "reward" for good deeds and a selfless attitude was there, and everyone believed it, there would be no wars, a lot less hungry, and equality for all

So everyone would have to define "good" in the same way and all agree at all times on what "good" means. Also, since when has religion ever stopped wars, wiped out hunger or created equality?

On one hand you have "evidence" saying evolution happened; but that does not mean that there wasn't something that set the whole process in motion.

No, there isn't "evidence" for evolution, there is simply evidence and proof. Evolution happened, happens and will happen.

In the same vane, there is no solid evidence saying there is "higher power" behind it all, although i am willing to accept that this could be the case.

No, not in the same vein. There is TONS of evidence and proof for evolution. It is a FACT. There is ZERO evidence for any higher power of any sort.

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

OK, but why THIS specific belief with re-incarnation? Why this deism for which there is no evidence? Why not aliens?

I suppose because it goes against the conventional teachings of Christianity, which to be honest, i'm feeling more and more alienated with (pardon the pun)

So everyone would have to define "good" in the same way and all agree at all times on what "good" means. Also, since when has religion ever stopped wars, wiped out hunger or created equality?

I think we all know in our heart of hearts what "good" actually is. Helping the poor, not commiting violence towards our fellow man (and animal for that matter). I'm not talking about religion either, more of a set of values.

No, there isn't "evidence" for evolution, there is simply evidence and proof. Evolution happened, happens and will happen

Well, i did state that i believed in evolution....Evolution and atheism are completely different.

No, not in the same vein. There is TONS of evidence and proof for evolution. It is a FACT. There is ZERO evidence for any higher power of any sort

I beg to differ. No one knows what occurred before the big bang. We can speculate, but no one, as you put it, has solid proof and evidence on what was before the big bang.

And Cofty, the difference is that i believe there is a higher power there. As opposed to not believing there is one at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit