Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    Sin and death entered the WORLD. Death did not just enter man. But death entered the WORLD. Animals, plants, etc... - Tammy

Death did not enter the world because of "sin" - whatever that means.

Without death there is no natural slection and no diversity.

Why do you have such utter contempt for science Tammy?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

QUIET ONE : I agree.. Animals are slaughtered needlessly throughout the 'old testament', for God, yet Jw's say that he cares about all creatures..

Do you feel killing animals for food is "slaughtered needlessly? I guess you are a vegetarian. I eat meat, I kind of follow the thinking of Temple Grandin. She is responsible for changing the practices of the meat industry. She feels that the cattle wouldn't have existed if they were not to bred to be eaten, but that we owe them a painless death. She developed more humane methods of slaughter. I do think sacrificial animals were often eaten after the sacrifice, so in my mind that was not a needless death.

• kassad84
    kassad84

Reading "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis, helped me sort through some of these issues. There's also a section there about why the beasts suffer, something like since man has fallen, and the beasts were subjected under his authority, that they eventually descended into a fallen nature as well...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have seen C.S Lewis described as a Christian Thinker, he may have been christian, but he was no great thinker.

I have never seen anything from "chrisitians" on the questions of Evil and Suffering that comes above the level of pathetic excuses for their terrible, immoral, or powerless god. (He cannot be Moral and Omnipotent at the same time, if he is powerless, why worship him ?)

Face the facts folks, the Universe is random, and shit happens.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I understand that C S Lewis held academic positions at Oxford and Cambridge Universities

• kassad84
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

LisaRose -- How about the animals that were killed because they belonged to a city with 'bad people' in it/stoned along with someones family for the mans 'sin'/drowned in the flood/drowned in Red Sea etc. ? Not just sacrifices..

• kassad84
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"something like since man has fallen, and the beasts were subjected under his authority, that they eventually descended into a fallen nature as well..." -- So God cursed all of the animals because the person supervising them did something wrong?? An animal cannot 'sin', and where is this 'eventual descent into fallen nature' of animals mentioned in the Bible? That's new to me...

• kassad84
    kassad84

hi quiet one, you can choose to read the book and see what C.S Lewis has got to say about the subject, or you can choose not to. i was merely sharing. you can judge for yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit