Are Horse Steaks on your Grocery List

by designs 48 Replies latest social current

• mummatron
    mummatron

I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat horse meat. I've eaten all kinds of strange and interesting foods and challenge myself to try things but couldn't try horse. Nothing to do with the pet issue. I was raised in a farming community where pet lambs & pigs are the norm. Maybe it's because I view them as modes of transport? Who knows! Having said that, many of us may have eaten horse and been none the wiser - Horse Meat Found in Salami

@Watersprout - IKWYM, I once ordered scallops in a restaurant and was presented with a veal escalope.

Quick question for the veggies & vegans - do you wear leather/sheepskin/suede? just curious as I find that's something that divides my friends. The gelatine issue especially. I have some vegetarian (not vegan) friends who will happily eat a jelly baby because "they're not meat" and others who will pass on a slice of iced cake if they don't know for sure if the icing contains gelatine. Fortunately, I'm a good friend and aware that issues like these matter, so I always ask what people do/don't eat before cooking for them.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

For me, it's not whether or not horse should be available for consumption, it's the way the U.S. mega meat industry seems to be such an inhumane way to raise and harvest the product. On the other hand, cost would probably be much higher if all meat came from good old fashioned farm raised, range grazing animals.

Yah, I like steak, I buy meat at the store, so I'm not extreme, I just would hate to see farming horses turned into something similar to what has happened to the rest of the meat industry. Overcrowded horse lots, not much room to move, shot up with hormones, and herded through the slaughterhouse.

• designs
    designs

mummatron- In my daughter's case she will occaisionally eat fish and eggs, my nephew is hard core vegan, no cheese eggs, he's a little noncommittal on shell creatures like oysters and claims, can't quite figure out where to place them on the food chain, but he wears leather shoes go figure. I should lend him my Hemp Loafers

• watersprout
    watersprout

Mummatron veal escalopes sound awful!

Quick question for the veggies & vegans - do you wear leather/sheepskin/suede? just curious as I find that's something that divides my friends. The gelatine issue especially. I have some vegetarian (not vegan) friends who will happily eat a jelly baby because "they're not meat" and others who will pass on a slice of iced cake if they don't know for sure if the icing contains gelatine

For me personally I refuse everything that contains an animal.... If it moves I don't eat or wear it...I eat vegan jelly sweets, vegan chocolate made with rice/soya milk, vegan icecream made with soya milk... My clothes and shoes are animal free, I research what glue is used as the majority of glue is from horses... Royal icing contains gelatin but some brands of normal icing is vegan. It's a complete change of life, but everyone is different.

Peace

• designs
    designs

watersprout-

You and my nephew would get along great, he read Upton Sinclair when he was young and it completely changed his life.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    You and my nephew would get along great, he read Upton Sinclair when he was young and it completely changed his life.

Of course we would get on, I am FABULOUS! LMAO!

Whats this book your son speaks off??

• Lore
    Lore

Huh. I'm actually a bit suprised by all the people who wouldn't try it.

I'd eat a horse. But I doubt it will taste as good as beef or chicken.

Cows have been bred for slaughter. Same goes for chicken.

Horses have been bred to look pretty, work or race. It's probably going to be quite a while before they are fit to eat.

But I am not turned off by the idea of eating a horse any more than a cow, pig, sheep, dog, cat, chicken or fish.

Bugs are honestly the only thing I can think of that I'd be disinclined to eat. But I believe if it was prepared well and managed to look tasty I'd try it.

• prologos
    prologos

Our unfamiliarity with Horse meat probably goes back to Lev. 11. it does NOT SPLIT THE HOOF. when you look at all the muscels of a horse. there is clean food there.

As pioneers we were invite by a belgian sister for a steak noon dinner, and were told after it was horse. very good.

In the Orient had dog once in my moth ready to shew, but declined, because I was told it was the MBF special*. otherwise I would have swallowed that stewed meat too.

Separation of the Sheep and the Goats: Goat is way tastier than lamb, which depends on knowledgeable preparation.

Mans' Best Friend Special. Question:

How did Noah know which animals were clean and not before the law of Moses was received? putting words and clean meat in Noahs mouth.

Too few Unclean animals to eat? only

two horses but seven cows?

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Had horse for the first time on my trip to Swizterland last October...it was delicious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit