Are Horse Steaks on your Grocery List

by designs 48 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Congress has lifted a 5 year ban on Horse Meat, for the non-vegans are you game.

I remember being in France, Nice, and walking into a Boucherie Chevaline (horse butcher) and seeing a skinned horse hanging on the hooks. Vivande de Cheval, its a big animal to see up close in that condition. Had a great Buffalo steak the other night with my son at a local restaurant.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Not interested.

I recognize and admit that my objections are both irrational and mental. I've never tasted it, so how can I pass judgement on it?

Still, unless it's the last available option, Trigger remains safe.

• designs
    designs

Where I live there are several Mexican Markets in town so seeing Tongue, Tripe and Brain in the meat case normal. I imagine Horse will show up there first. Seeing the skinned Horse in France was a little cultural shock.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I have no problem with tongue. Lengua tacos are the bomb! I've never liked the texture of tripe and I haven't tried the brains.

One of the things I enjoy about visiting California is being able to get any part of the cow on a taco.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The self-claimed insiders say that the inside story here is that for about 5 years there has been no inspection process for horse meat intended for human consumption - this bill funds federal horse meat inspection.

Almost all American horse meat for human food was formerly exported to Asia or Europe.

I doubt that we will see much of it in the supermarket here in the U.S.

It does seem to be a rather silly bill for the useless congress to be working on when we cannot settle a budget.

It is also a broken promise for Obama - he said he would never do this during the campaign.

• designs
    designs

LOL You would have fit right in with the Witness Party Crowd back in the late 60s early 70s. We had a favorite Mexican After-Hours Restaurant we would go to on Saturday nights in East LA that served Menudo, the elixur for the Hangover.

• sir82
    sir82

I've had it in Europe. I find it quite good and would buy it if available in the USA.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Someone pointed out to me that there is really quite a large lobby of horse and animal rights enthusiasts who adamantly oppose this practice in the U.S. Polls showed that 70% of Americans said they opposed horse meat for human consumption when it was effectively banned 5 years back.

The bill was part of a USDA funding bill; voted in ironically on Thanksgiving Day while Obama was pardoning the White House turkey.

• blondie
    blondie

Well I have eaten Rocky and Bullwinkle, Thumper, and Bambi's mother and helped at home butchering pigs and cows, chickens and rabbits. When your meat is on a foam pad, covered with plastic, and no longer resembles the animal, I suppose it is easier to cook and eat it. Living in a country like the US, I suppose we can be picky about our protein source. I have learned that many people in the world can't be choosy and what's available is worse than horses.

• designs
    designs

blondie- I think we suffer from seeing Horses as pets- Flicka, Trigger, Secretariat, all the great Horses of Films and Sport.

Run Flicka Run!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit