"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

Popular download. Usually downloads in seconds. Today's download was extremely slow.

I've read it twice and my mouth is still hanging open. Unbelievable. Next thing you know, they'll tell little Billy that he needs to respect Brother Sandusky when he wants to shower with him...

sir82 is right, this is revolting - even for the WTS. They've always maintainted that wives need to be long suffering with tempermental and prone to fits of anger husbands, but never (that I can remember) to the point of actually enduring and excusing physical abuse.

Hopefully though, this will be the tipping point for a lot of people, women especially, who needed a little push in the right direction to finally realize how out of touch with reality the WTS really is.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'd like to hit whoever wrote this crap!

• agonus
    agonus

Well, the husbands needn't worry. The WT has never deceived anyone, right?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The point is how to dodge bullets, not how to judge others.

Read, or remind yourself of, what a codependent relationship is before you spew this kind of ignorant advice. What you call "dodging bullets" could easily become enabling of a dangerously dysfucntional relationship with widespread repercussions on the world around it, namely children. The Watchtower has no idea how to care for the needs of people and this article is shocking proof of that.

-Sab

• agonus
    agonus

What about the bullet of truth?

• AnneB
    AnneB
    Are you saying that it would have been judgmental for the Society to use this paragraph as an opportunity to denounce wife-bashing?

I'm saying that WT is using the dialogue to teach only one point (Don't push people past their limits or bad things may happen). They may (or may not) denounce the use of force somewhere else.

I'm saying that the example teaches the woman how to redirect her own actions. Focusing on the actions of her husband is beyond the scope of the example.

• blondie
    blondie

This is not a new policy from the WTS, maybe a restatement for those that have "forgotten." It makes me wonder why so many jw wives leave their ex-jw husbands without similar advice. I grew up in a family with an abusive non-jw father and my mother was told she had to stay that she might convert him by her conduct. I saw several jw men though leave their non-jw and ex-jw wives and the elders were sympathizing with their situation, that they couldn't possible stay with a woman who was not "obedient."

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Always appreciate your insight on these things Blondie, thanks!

• cedars
    cedars

So you're saying that the FDS is unable to denounce wife-bashing without detracting from the main point of the article, is that it?

By the way AnneB, are you a wife by any chance?

Cedars

• cofty
    cofty

AnneB - the article says that living with Steve had been like "walking on eggshells" for years and that he was hotheaded. When the witness hears that he had hit Selma the prvious night over an argument she reponds by telling Selma about the importance of being more submissive and loveable. This is not out of context, it is the theme of the article.

What message does this send to the thousands of JW women who we can safely surmise are in abusive relationships?

Do you find this message acceptable? Is it the message you would give to a married daughter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit