"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary

I showed this article to my one sister who left the Borg when she was 16. She was absolutely disgusted. I think I might also forward the article to a couple of Profs who teach Womens Studies, in particular those who teach about the history of domestic abuse.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Had not thought about the Women's Studies as another place to send the article...thanks, would be some pertinent information about how some groups are not doing anything to help step violence against women, in fact are condoning it in certain situations.

• Mary
    Mary

And finding who to send this article to can take less than 2 minutes. For example, here is the link to faculty who teach Women's Studies at UCLA: http://www.womensstudies.ucla.edu/faculty.html

I think if enough groups are contacted, the media just might take some notice.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Back in 1965 my JW brother hit his wife. She left the house and a few hours later came back with her mother. My brother decked his mother-in-law in the eye. She fell backwards onto the concrete driveway, and he slammed the door shut. She ended up in the hospital. The elders quickly got involved and counselled them not to report it to the police. So the police came to the hospital and questioned them, but they refused to answer. My sister-in-law went to live with her mother after that for about a year, but the elders told her she had no grounds for divorce and the best thing to do was to reconcile. She did this even though she had a miserable marriage, and it took 30 years before she finally divorced him anyway. I don't know if he ever hit her again, but I know he hit his kids a lot. He also hit me a lot when I was growing up, but at the time I thought it was normal.

My JW father's attitude toward this was that the woman had it coming because she was yelling at my brother as she was entering the house, and my sister-in-law needed to be more submissive. He told me that she just got a black eye! I found out years later that she actually lost the vision in one eye. I'm embarrassed that I am related to this pervert. And my father actually sided with my brother!

Bonnie

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have not read through all the pages, and if I keep going, I may continue to bump into AnneB's comments, and my sanity cannot handle that. One aspect of this that disturbs me to the bone is that this article is not being studied only by adults, but by teens, preteens and children. Yes indeed, they are certainly being inculcated are they not? Directed like arrows from a bow. The girls about being set up to justify (as AnneB does) abuse and the boys are being set up to think that it's not nearly as bad a sin as all that. Hell, they may even conclude that if they'd like their future wives to be more submissive, a punch here and there would do the trick.

I know someone that was DF'd for working in a domestic violence shelter because it was run out of the wrong kind of building. I am so overwhelmed with disgust right now, I just want to shake them.,

AND WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN who are witnessing this abuse??? How much more likely are they going to grow up and be abusers or be abused? And just to make sure. . . . This will be reinforced with a handy dandy WT article----food at the proper time. Nothing like reading how everyone should continue to walk on eggshells so as not to piss off their abuser the morning after the abuser beat mommy bloody.

NC

• N.drew
    N.drew

For you NewChapter and all the young and the old ones reading who have been smacked and beat by people they love.

hug

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    My JW father's attitude toward this was that the woman had it coming because she was yelling at my brother as she was entering the house, and my sister-in-law needed to be more submissive.

Thank you for posting. This is exactly the disgusting attitude that they are teaching.

One aspect of this that disturbs me to the bone is that this article is not being studied only by adults, but by teens, preteens and children. Yes indeed, they are certainly being inculcated are they not? Directed like arrows from a bow. The girls about being set up to justify (as AnneB does) abuse and the boys are being set up to think that it's not nearly as bad a sin as all that. Hell, they may even conclude that if they'd like their future wives to be more submissive, a punch here and there would do the trick.

Yes. Good point.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My husband watched the video. He was disgusted and posted the video link on YouTube which I think is cool cuz he has way more friend than I do and some of them are jws.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

And finding who to send this article to can take less than 2 minutes. For example, here is the link to faculty who teach Women's Studies at UCLA:
    http://www.womensstudies.ucla.edu/faculty.html

Got the same for Old Dominion Univerisity in Norfolk, VA. Going to send a copy via US Mail personally addressed to a few of the folks on the staff, the department Chair and the Faculty Emerita of Womens Studies.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks Mary it is a great letter.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit