What happened to Rolf Furuli?

by Vidqun 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

This thread is highly entertaining! LOL... ok, well, IKEA... nice.

The article from bondie seems to indicate that Elihu books and Awatu are in the middle of legal spat over publishing rights ...I think Elihu is Greg Stafford's site, correct?

Very funny...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ann you really got me curious what you think about his chronology books.

By the way, have you any idea how to get a hold of copies these days? Golden age books is out of them.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Not ... going to ... give ... in ...

Out of print for the moment. Rumor has it there might be other editions eventually.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think a major problem and drawback with his chronology books is that they are largely a refutation of Jonsson's Gentile Times Reconsidered book, however without a single explicit reference to that work - for obvious reasons. The result is a weird sort of directionless dancing after shadows. That combined with the arcane subject and obscure argumentation turned me off.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

No, that's not the major problem or drawback ...

... arrgh. Stop it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Say, what's the major problem?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

His data are out of whack and he bases his conclusions on the faulty (or manipulated) data.

See a previous rant HERE.

Oh now look what you made me do! You're getting me started.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks Ann. I wonder if a new edition will ever see the light of day.

I noticed anotherpaul on that link. That's a blast from my apologist past.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    Phizzy: I respect Rolf and his views" may I ask why ?

I corresponded with him for a short while and he seemed sincere in his beliefs (if somewhat deluded by sticking to the WT version of events). A true scholar/scientist would have looked at the situation objectively, and reject that which contradicts. As we know there's a lot of contradictions in Watchtower theology. He did admit though, that there were some serious shortcomings with the WT view of Hebrew aspect/tense. Another thing that put me off was that he insisted that I buy his books, and at that stage I could not afford them. I never got into chronological discussions with him because I view them as being of secondary importance. Overall, he held some liberal views, e.g., encouraging secular education.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I first came across Furuli when he was debating with Marvin Shilmer, Lee Elder and Muramoto on the BMJ website. That was about 2000 or 2001. I wonder if that exchange is still online. I sent him an email following the debate and he answered a few questions I had.

Ah here it is:

http://www.bmj.com/content/322/7277/37?tab=responses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit