• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The face of IKEA. Wow.

Hidden talents. Good for him! LOL.

• blondie
  • AnnOMaly
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun
    Slimboyfat: What was the "Awatu incident"?

On JWN, under thread "Rolf Furuli," you can read all about it. In order to follow, you need to look up the posts on b-Hebrew. Rolf published a book on Hebrew Aspect/Tense and he was given a hard time because Awatu Publishers is his company, which he didn't advertise. I admit, he did fib a little, but nothing serious. Of course his fellow scholars was quick to pick up on it. He was quite vocal as a JW apologist, but this seemed to have silenced him. Perhaps he realized that he was defending the indefensible.

I respect Rolf and his views. I believe he is sincere in what he believes. My humble opinion is that instead of going solo, he tied his research too closely to the tenets of the Watchtower Corporation. And as we know, those are slowly but surely unravelling. He should have done his research indepenent of the WTS. I would dearly have liked to hear his opinion on current events, e.g., the UN-NGO debacle.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember that now. He claimed many academics in Norway self-publish to avoid profiteering publishers. Not sure about that.

His books on chronology are sought after but rare as hen's teeth!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Forgive my ignorance, is this the same Rolf Furuli? Or a person by the same name? If so--how did he end up in an IKEA commerical?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"I respect Rolf and his views" may I ask why ?

He pontificates on areas of expertise that he is not qualified in, he supports a chronology because the WT does,he ignores the glaring faults of the NWT because the WT produces it, hardly academic independence.

His views seem very suspect to me.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Londo111

It's the Rolf Furuli. It's his face. It's him.

He ended up on the IKEA ads because he was designing a kitchen for his new house using the IKEA online design facility (according to the link on the previous page - if I've understood Google's and Miss Led's translations correctly), along with some other folks, and he was shortlisted for an ad campaign by the company - 1 of 4. According to the report, he was surprised (albeit mildly) by IKEA's selection too.

http://demo.acneproduction.com/kitchendreams/#/RolfFuruli/ If you click the arrows on the edges of the page, you'll see the other 3 selected designers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Personally I enjoyed his book The Role of Theology and Bias in Bible Translation. It was well written, reasonable in tone, and made a good case for many NWT renderings. I couldn't get into his chronology books.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I couldn't get into his chronology books.

Don't get me started!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit