The J Dub Culture of Skirt-Wearing

by mummatron 77 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That's true. When I was a teenager my best friend kept getting seduced by this church and would only wear skirts, stop cutting her hair, no makeup, no jewelry. Then she'd wake up and clean up, then it would start all over again. I remember a life story in an Awake of a woman who used to be Amish, and she found JW dress too immodest.

NC

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

funny billy- they should all where skirts like Jesus!!!

If I ever go to the KH I will NOT where a skirt!!!!! Not that i plan to go back but you know funeral... ummmm only reason I'd show

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am surprised that they still allow the young ladies to be baptised in bathing suits - wouldn't 19th century "bathing gowns with full underwear" be more appropriate?

• talesin
    talesin

FS -- no worries there, they don't have funerals, only memorial services!

t

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

they don't have funerals, only memorial services

which sadly only turns into a infomercials for the WTS. publishing company.

Woman just like the men of the WTS. get exploited and used as sales representatives for the head publishing house.

The regulated dress code and personal appearance is part of the outside image set in place with deliberate intension.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes, Jesus was never reported in trousers!

I so much wish that Witness women would assert their womanliness. There is not one iota in the Bible about skirts. If every Witness woman wore pants on a certain day, the WT would cave. We participate in our enslavement. The very sad thing is empowering women would have so many tangible benefits for the Society.

It as if only wearing a skirt or pants affected your obedience. The same woman is inside both outfits.

Even more than low-education, the relegation of women to ridicule as a hank of hair fuels my anger. The US planned to screw the Taliban by college education for their women.

As with everything else, it all concerns the legitimacy of the GB to define every facet of a person's life. Heck, why are skirts compared to oral sex between married couples? That is true grasping.

• okie46
  • spanteach
    spanteach

I left in 2005 and it was about 3 or 4 years before I would even consider wearing a skirt since as JWs we were obligated to wear them a minimum of three times a week . But now I have a few cute dresses and skirts in my wardrobe that I wear when I want to, not because someone said I must. Usually, though, I'm much happier in pants.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    that I wear when I want to, not because someone said I must

That is freedom. Freedom that is denied to female JWs.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The latest dub line on dress and grooming? If you don't uphold the WT standards you are supporting Babylon the Great.

How does that work?

People are increasingly going to church dressed casually. Therefore those who go to the KH dressed casually (presumeably that includes women in pants) are being "babylonish".

This is according to talk in this summer's DC.

The fact that the tradition of goiing to religious services in your "Sunday best" is rooted in churches of all colours seems to have escaped this reasoning. Just another example of convoluted, cross eyed thinking in dubland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit