The J Dub Culture of Skirt-Wearing

by mummatron 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The last time I wore a skirt was at my father's funeral 18 mths ago. It was held in a KH and I was debating to wear trousers but I decided I'd dress up with a skirt ensemble.

Recently I bought a dress and it was the first time in 5 years I've bought one. My birthday is coming up in a few months and I thought it'd be nice to wear a dress for a change.

*edited for embarrassing typo

• White Dove
    White Dove

BP: "The last time I wore a shirt..."

So, BP, how're YOU doin'?

LOL! I'll stop now...hahahahaha

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL @ White Dove - I meant SKIRT!!! as opposed to wearing jeans or trousers all the time!!

• White Dove
  • Virgochik
    Virgochik

It used to just mortify me to death when I was a teenager. I felt like a wierdo because after service, we'd stop for lunch at the mall and then walk around shopping. All the girls my age in the mall wore cool jeans but I was a dork in a 1950's get up. It wasn't appropriate for a mall, but we were supposedly winning people over without a word. Not.

Here's what I really didn't get: OK, so females had to wear skirts/dresses at the Hall or out in disservice to show honor to Jehovah. Well, didn't he see us all the time? But it was fine to change into jeans and t-shirt right away when I got home. Somehow jeans were fine at school and around town or at home. Jehovah didn't mind. But we had to rock the 1950's uniform when doing Witness activities, to show we were different from the world. Boy, we sure were and not in a way that impressed anybody like the JW's were hoping. Instead, people thought we were strange. Nobody ran in droves to the KH because of our Lucy and Ethel outfits. We just looked like religious freaks, kind of like the way people snickered at the Moonies.

I see the Witness ladies are still wearing the skirts and dresses, even though community standards have changed. I think they turn more people off with their oddities than they impress. I can't figure how they convince today's career woman to dress submissive and old fashioned for the Hall after a day supervising employees or having responsibilities.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Jeckle- can't sleep tonight you made me LOL thanks, but NO as a JW was way too "modest" and insecure to be cute for any type!

White Dove so funny you knew I'm an Egyptian, well by name at least!

Vigochik- Dito remember too clear trying to hide so no one at my school would notice me when in my JW atire

• jeckle
    jeckle

owooooo! tongue hanging down

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL @ Jeckle.... you're a mess, as Snowbird would say

• jeckle
    jeckle

i know i cant help it ! lol

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

you two are just to funny