I had my first encounter with JW's at my door! I was called an apostate!

by Desert Rat 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

Desert Rat,

It may be necessary to offer the gung ho guy a free home Bible study using Crisis of Conscience.

• satinka
    satinka

Dear such and such Kingdom Hall. Two women from your organization visited my home today. I was extremely busy painting and told them no thank you, but they continued the conversation. I disagreed with something they said and they called me an apostate. I don't even know what that means or why they would call me names, but could you please advise your followers that if they continue to come to my door and call me names, I will have to notify the police. Should I expect further abuse in my new home?

Good letter!

It seems to me JWs are extremely afraid of us! And why wouldn't they be? Their god teaches FEAR!

satinka

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I encounter them, I do not let get the upper hand by finishing thier spiel. Letting them talk to you in field service places you in the nonlegitmiziing position. Rather, they should placed in that position because they are a cult with bizare teachings. They arrive at private homes unbidden. People err by bein gpolite and giving them a forum.

They are slow to respond to a firm No Thank You. I reveal I was a Witness and would they want to study the Bible with me. I told them it is rot that they know thier Bibles b/c the Watchtower doesnot study consecutive verses. Any foilk can splash doctrine together, opening the Bible at random.

They run from me. I've had them in tears. It surpises me because I make certain that my voice is even toned but assertive withot aggressiveness. They aren't used to people acitvely engaging them. People are so polite at doors mostly. I trout out my Bethel connections over generations. When they first hear them, they are ready to embrace me for life. When I state my conclusions, they run. They just don't run. I see disquiet on their faces. They are in distress.

I would not do it to a Witness child. Why be polite when they are unbidden and the Witnesses account for a large part of trauma in my life? They were never neutral. Unfortunately, even if I view the encounter as a win, I am souped up, recalling my powerlessness in the Witnesses. How rich my life has been since I left. Fury at my parents happens. They may be in tears but so am I>

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    I would not do it to a Witness child. Why be polite when they are unbidden and the Witnesses account for a large part of trauma in my life? They were never neutral. Unfortunately, even if I view the encounter as a win, I am souped up, recalling my powerlessness in the Witnesses. How rich my life has been since I left. Fury at my parents happens. They may be in tears but so am I>

Band on the Run, that is really moving.

• flipper
    flipper

DESERT RAT- I thought you did a splendid job actually in making the younger JW think with her own mind by your way of reasoning ! Awesome ! Although the old geezer JW put a kabosh on your attempts to make the younger lady think - what you had already spoken will linger inside the mind of the younger JW. And THAT is what you accomplished ! So it's all good. It is indelibly registered in the young JW's mind and I assure you she will think on it down the road.

Sorry they called you " apostate ". That was rude and insulting, however these days personally I view it as a badge of honor to be called that compared to being called a JW ! LOL ! My youngest daughter told me a couple years ago that I " sounded " apostate to her when quoting her stuff from their own Watchtower about the " overlap generation ". And you are correct- JW's right now are EXTREMELY paranoid about this " apostate " stuff because recent WT's are emphasizing it so much ! But hey, you never know - you may have opened a mind up for the future. Once again, good job

• aristeas
    aristeas

DR, wow, quite an expereince. I always try to be nice to them and get them to think too, but preferably NOT at my home—lest they come back! I'm not DFed but just faded, so I feel no moral obligation to tell them I'm ex- or inactive or whatever.

I few years ago I was hitchiking in the backcountry (Rocky Mtns.) where a dirt road became a 4-wheel-drive one. My truck is only 2-wheel drive, so a few miles/kilos into the backcountry I parked it and began looking for a ride further in. A 4WD SUV with a couple stopped to pick me up. I got in the back seat and found a NWT, so I asked if they were Wtinesses. They said yes, so I after some small talk I queried them why no Witness males sport beards. The bro. gave the "clean-cut look" reply. I asked whether that did not imply that men with beards were unclean. I have a full beard, so I knew the bro. would not want to insult me. The point was it really got them both to think about the standard lines they're so trained to give. Shouldn't our goal be to help them to think for themsleves, not just anger or insult them back?

• Desert Rat
    Desert Rat

Thank you all for your remarks. I hope I did make her think, even if just a little bit Flipper!

My hubby says its time to box up the computer, (about the only thing left) we are pulling out tomorrow on our big move. I will be so glad when its over, I am sick of packing! Amazing how much junk one can aquire. See ya all in a week or so!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Good LUCK , Dessert Rat. and Best wishes in your new home

orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit