I had my first encounter with JW's at my door! I was called an apostate!

by Desert Rat 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Desert Rat
    Desert Rat

So, I am getting ready to move across the state. We bought a home there, and have taken a couple of loads over, with the main move being this next week. I went over this last week cause I wanted to paint the kitchen and dining room before we moved in (a lot easier to do without Grandkids and dogs under foot).

Anyway... Here I am painting away when there is a knock on the door. I opened it up, not knowing who to expect to be there. Wearing dresses and packing book bags I realized right away who it was! As she started spouting about encouraging Bible reading or something, I thought back to the thread I had just read about all those great one line comebacks. My mind went totally blank! I couldn't think of any of them!! What did my paint fume filled up mind, put on the spot, come up with to say?

I said you're JW's aren't you? She admitted they were. I said I was I very familiar with what they had to teach and no thank you. She asked what it was I was at odds with. (everything!!) But then I spouted how I knew they had taken worship of God and Jesus out of the equation and replaced it with worship to a publishing company.

Of course she denied that! So I asked her that if I told her I was Jesus in the flesh, would she believe me? She said no- that his return to earth would be an invisible return-not a fleshy one. So I asked if her magazine were to publish that Jesus had returned and was living as a 50 something woman at this address, would she then believe it to be true? She just stared at me for a minute (probably only seconds), and I jumped back in. I said well, if you say Yes-that you would then believe it- then that proves to me that you worship the men running the publishing company, not God. If you say No, that you wouldn't believe it, even if your magazine printed it, then you have just gone against the teachings of your religion and you would be disfellowshipped or kicked out from your religion for having a view other than theirs!

At that point, the older woman exclaimed She's an apostate! Let's go! They hastily retreated from my doorway.

I'm not even moved in all the way, and have already been 'marked' as an apostate! I guess you can attack them- but don't say anything about their beloved magazine company and the men who run it! Must have been a dead give away? Or maybe the use of the word disfellowshipped? Oh well, if I have the pleasure of going another 20 years without talking to another one, I'm fine with that!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sheesh, you're minding your own business and THEY come to YOUR door and call You an apostate. Like you were bothering them or something. LOL

NC

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL!!

Good luck with your move.

• ambersun
    ambersun

Well, considering you were put on the spot I think you handled the situation brilliantly! They certainly made a hasty retreat without asking you how you were so familiar with the organisation and how it operates. The fact they didn't ask out of sheer curiosity if you were DF'd or DA'd or just had relatives in the organisation, says to me that you possibly hit on a nerve with one of those ladies, who might already have a seed of doubt in her mind. You never know!

I will use your response next time they call on me, and see what reaction I get

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Good job. We moved 1000 miles not to long ago and after being here now for a 6 weeks still no sign of a JW. Still waiting for our first visit. Totally ADD

• sizemik
    sizemik

Afraid to say Desert Rat . . .

Concentrating the line of attack on the "publishing company" would have set the apostate alarm off . . . and yes, the short and accurrate description of disfellowshipping would have clinched it . . . you rabid apostate you!

But hey . . . they've got the GB breathing fire at apostates through the WT at the moment . . . they're all on "high apostate alert" . . . you're directness may well have the greatest chance of success.

ED:

At that point, the older woman exclaimed She's an apostate! Let's go! They hastily retreated from my doorway.

That does have it's funny side

• luna2
    luna2

Well, the good thing about being labeled an apostate is that they won't come by any more. Of course, you are moving anyway, but keep it in mind if you get any door knockers at the new place. Its a good way to keep them away.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Can an unbaptised publisher be an apostate? If I ask questions like that will I frighten them off so well that they'll all stop missing me so much and cease trying to get me back?

• highdose
    highdose

sorry to tell you this, but as a full blown evil apostate who has moved and faded myself, i can tell you that i have given several JW's at my door an apostate beating, each time i've told them not to come back. It makes no difference!

Either these people do not communicate with eachother, or they don't read the maps or they don't care! Probably the latter!

• moshe
    moshe

Good job- for as long as it lasted!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit