The impossible delusion of evolution

by brotherdan 172 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

Good questions Tammy. --You don't have to be a believer to admire Jesus of the Bible and recognize the virtue in many of the things he said.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    What's interesting to me in the second video is that scientists are looking for intelligence in space. I'm sure many are atheists. If they find an information bearing signal it would confirm the existance of intelligent life beyond earth. Interesting. If they find an information bearing signal it must be from an intelligent source. Yet atheist take the "leap of faith" that the universe was not created by intelligent design. Couldn't an atheists conclusion be that if they find an information bearing signal that it is just random. Why believe intelligent design in the one case and not the other.

Here is a website that address many of those issues and also reconciles faith with sience:

www.biologos.org

• superpunk
    superpunk

PSac I think dan has stated before that he needs a literal A&E or he will have to throw the bible out. So he's gonna feel the same way about biologos that the Answers in Genesis peopled do - namely, they are just as bad as atheists, possibly worse since they are distorting the faith.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, the link was for Guest with questions, but to your point SuperPunk, if Dan feels that way that is certainly his perogative, to each their own.

But I would still suggest checking out that website that not only has scientists, philosophers but theologians and scholars that probably know more about the bible and biblical doctrines than most, if not all of us, here.

• bohm
    bohm

GWQ, i believe i debunk some important points about the second video back at page #1.

Which argument presented in the video do you find particulary convincing?

• tec
    tec
    Good questions Tammy. --You don't have to be a believer to admire Jesus of the Bible and recognize the virtue in many of the things he said.

Thanks, TD. I had to ask myself those questions a few weeks ago, when my son came to me with a few concerns, regarding contradictions in the bible, and with the bad things that happen in the world - why does God not stop them-... and with a testing of the waters by asking me if I ever have doubts. My sweet boy. He doesn't want to hurt anyone - although through the conversation we had, I realized that his doubts were about the bible, not belief in God (at least not yet), so I of course gave him my views on inerrancy, praised him for his fantastic questions (to which I could not answer all of them at the time), and told him that it is all right to have doubts and that I will never be mad at him for the things he asks.

I think its when we deal with our children and what we teach them, that we confront what we truly believe. Bottom line things. Mine is that one show the love and mercy of Christ.

Tammy

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm assuming that Daniel has made his exit, based on past experience. So I'll address my comments to this thread's participants.

I've read the entire thread but didn't watch the videos, just because what people actually have to say is more interesting, and as usual some of it has added to my own understanding of things. The greatest thing about this board is the generosity of its participants sharing their minds. A key observation of this thread could be that people are taking precious time out of their lives to reach out to Daniel, in an attempt to help him add to his own understanding. Love, maybe? It's something like that, otherwise, why bother?

I'm getting the impression that Daniel's mind is in turmoil. He joined this board not quite a year ago, still a devout Christian but having some doubts about the legitimacy of the WTBTS. His earlier posts are an indication that he was a searcher for truth within an absolute faith in Christianity and was not prepared for the assault to his sensibilities from those who have been where he is but who have moved on. He got more than he bargained for and his life is now more complicated as a consequence.

It takes a great deal of effort to hold onto religious faith when you're confronted with facts and evidence to the contrary. In a perverse sort of way, the WTBTS admonishment not to doubt, not to question what you've been told to believe, not to associate with people who do not believe (especially apostates, who are the most dangerous because of their knowledge and expertise in all things Watchtower) and just accept everything, is sound advice. Ignorance is bliss, and the path to enlightenment is really a gauntlet.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Zoiks assessment sums up what I was thinking, too:

- BD appears, tells a woeful tale of horrific happenings in his life. All kinds of people (including those horrible atheists) offer support and advice; BD ignores advice; disappears.
    Repeat ad nauseum.
    I have been sucked into this fun little merry-go-round several times now. My desire to offer support kept me coming back. No more.
  • Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

ooohhh, I smell bacon. Does anyone else smell bacon?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Some recommended reading for anyone serious about the subject. It contains 500 large size, fine print pages of material covering virtually all of the arguments used by Creationists. It's available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Earth-History-Evolution-Controversy/dp/1573927171/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300213078&sr=8-2

Science and Earth History: The Evolution/Creation Controversy

Villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit