Jehovah's Witnesses - Are they loving?

by brotherdan 81 Replies latest jw friends

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

"4 Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. . . . "

(1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

The thing that stands out most to me about these verses that are intended to define love, is that love is quite clearly expressed through actions, and is not an emotion we feel. Love can only be manifest by means of action.

Love is kind. Shunning lifelong friends and family members for simple thought crimes and other so-called errors is not a very kind. It is unloving in fact. Love does not keep account of the injury. Who was injured? You? Because your cousin smokes a cigarette? You're hurt because young brother Johnson is dating young sister Hudson; they fell in love and had safe premarital sex? How the hell is that any of your business, Sister Pioneer and Brother Literature Counter . . . ? You're going to walk right past them in the grocery store and pretend they are not there? Grow up.

Love does not brag. The GB and JW's boast incessantly about the WT peddling work they do, pretending as if placing a spiritual Happy Meal with an elderly woman waiting for the bus is somehow lifesaving. The brag that every single baptized member of the religion is an "Ordained Minister" by God himself simply because they spend an average of 10 hours per month peddling WT publications at every opportunity.

Love rejoices in truth. These "Ordained Ministers" are magazine salespeople. Yet, they brag that they are the ONLY ones doing the work Jesus commanded them to do. The WTBTS includes in their publications absurd false representations depicting First Century Christians going from house-to-house with scrolls, bound volumes, and even papyrus parchments about the size of WT magazines sharing them with householders, soldiers, and political leaders. They cling blindly to the lie that Jerusalem fell to Babylon in 607 when it actually did not, and they all rejoice in the promulgation of that lie . . . among other variations of truth they put forth proven to be utterly false by history and by their words.

I could go on and on pointing out how JW's do not express any real sort of love when held up to the standard of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, but this should suffice.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hold it everybody.

"Meet your God."

Huh? And he says it twice.

Only the faithful annointed get to do that.

Isn't it supposed to be, "Go to Gehenna" or something like that?

Eternal destruction...second death...but not a hint at heaven.

That's too weird for a JW to say.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Hold it everybody.

"Meet your God."

Huh? And he says it twice.

Only the faithful annointed get to do that.

Isn't it supposed to be, "Go to Gehenna" or something like that?

Eternal destruction...second death...but not a hint at heaven.

Exactly, he's not a JW.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I am with SweetBaby's thoughts on this one.

I feel that Jehovah's Witnesses as individuals are loving but the Organization has made it conditional. For a Witness to show true unhypocritical love, they do this despite the Organization.

True brotherly love can't be dictated. This true love becomes so unnatural for JW's that many magazine articles have to be written to try and teach the flock how a loving person would act.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

wannabefree: "True brotherly love can't be dictated. This true love becomes so unnatural for JW's that many magazine articles have to be written to try and teach the flock how a loving person would act."

Or perhaps many magazine articles have to be written to propagate and justify the conditions of the WTBTS's kind of love . . . ?

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

1 Corithians 13:1-3

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,but do not have love, I gain nothing.

I'd like too humbly point out here that, yes, there are loving people of all religious belief. (including atheists, tee hee!) BUT if a so-called Christian doesn't have love, they are a mere counterfeit! It doesn't matter what sect or denomination, if a person doesn't have love but lives and dies by rules & regulations like a pharisee, they have no right to call themselves Christian, no matter what they say or do! I love it when JW's call others counterfeit Christians when they themselves have the rafter in their own eye...

V665V665

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Hmmm...that makes sense WD and misery.

• sabastious
    sabastious

brodan I responded to your PM.

-Sab

• jay88
    jay88

Correct me if I am wrong, BrotherD

With Christianity you are black and white, no grey area, when it comes to love

But with non-Christians you are very liberal with love, you say love is possible without Christianity

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    With Christianity you are black and white, no grey area, when it comes to love

You MUST have love to be a disciple of Christ according to the Bible. John 13:35 - By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

Paul goes further and says at 1Cor 13:3 - If I dole out all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but don’t have love, it profits me nothing.

So yes, it is black and white that you must have love to be a Christian. If you do not have love then you cannot be a Christian. 1John 4:20,21 illustrates this when it says: If a man says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who doesn’t love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? This commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should also love his brother.

But with non-Christians you are very liberal with love, you say love is possible without Christianity

I acknowledge that love can be possible in Christians and NON Christians. I'm not sure how you think I'm wrong here. If you do not have love you cannot be a Christian. Yet you can be an atheist and have love. You can be a Hindu and have love. You can be a Muslim and have love. Or you can be any of these things and not have love. The point is, to be a Christian love is a REQUIREMENT.

Why am I debating this. This is elementry stuff. HUMANS can love. All can love. But those that are Christians MUST practice it otherwise they are not Christians no matter what their religious beliefs are. So if JWs are going to contend that they alone are Christian because they alone have love...well what do the facts show. Do they feed the poor out of love? Do they treat brothers in Christ in love, even if those brothers do not have the same doctrinal beliefs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit