Here in the UK - a £3 fee charged for going to JW assembly hall

by James_Slash 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I am familiar with the car park at Dudley Assembly Hall - I always believed it is not adequate considering the size of the Hall. Isn't the parking there prioritised..? I've known JWs use the car park opposite (which belongs to Dudley Zoo - and there is a fee for parking on it, which I've known JWs complain about, but it is for visitors to the zoo).

James - PMing you.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well, there goes the old standby line

SEATS FREE NO COLLECTION!

OZ

• dozy
    dozy

What usually happens is that the congregation up-front pays the "suggested" contribution via a resolution so that any contributions in the boxes on the days of the assemblies is pure profit.

Interesting looking through the accounts - Hellaby have 600K in the bank (though I have heard that they are starting a 1 million punds refit.

Did you know that there is another assembly hall being built in Scotland for the Scottish & Northern England JWs? Hasn't gone down too well - vastly more expensive than the existing arrangements which utilise city halls that are very cheap.

http://www.appletonparkway.co.uk

• watersprout
    watersprout

Oh my goodness! That was the assembly hall i used to go to! How freaky is that??

Where you from JS?

Peace

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Ah....nostalgia is sweet. It is funny how one remembers the good things about the Circuit Assemblies. - Making doughnuts and bacon rolls at the old Dorking Halls, helping (or hindering) the construction of Haysbridge in Surrey. Moving up here and finding Dudley to be a dump (in the 90's) . Truth is, that place has always been a money pit..They built a big catering extension just before the G B cancelled the food service............

Actually, in my days the food service used to make a profit and paid for the weekend.

When the concept of Assembly Halls came in, every cong had a contribution levied in proportion to the number of publishers - but I can remember how it was stressed that it should not be passed to the "bro's" as a personal charge to attend the hall..

BTW the best Assemblies were at local places hired when I was young. Everybody could get there, there was a lot of volunteer work that kept us busy and we met people...and the programms were quite theatrical and amusing...Back in the day.........(sigh) ....of course the teaching was still as rubbish though

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Crikey! How on earth is Hellaby doing a £1 million refit!?! They knocking it down and rebuilding it? It's only been up less than 20 years...?

Dudley Ass hall is a dump. I don't know how they can squeeze you for 3 quid for an old cinema with a new carpet and no projector. They aren't even showing the new Harry Potter flick. I'd rather pay a few more quid and see some flea-bitten monkeys across the road than sit looking at the inside of my eyelids for 6 hours.

Donate some Monopoly money.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Snakes, you've been missed - good to see you posting again! Your artistic talents are awesome! LOL

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

For those that are too ill or feeble to attend and listen in remotely to the assembly programs, do they provide a wire service to wire the 'suggested donation' or is that feature still in the works?

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Hi I used to go to this hall , and also got baptised there What a dickhead I was at 13 to go through with this horse shit. I was so ill after this that at dinner break in the upper level I was sick all over the afternoon speaker below. He was mad as hell and had to borrow a shity suite from a miserable serpent he knew. I was pissing my self laughing . Dudley hall is a big tax dodge in the UK like all the rest they are spending money on now. Like Hellaby needs 1 million refit on it when I helped build it just 18 years ago. the witchtower are out of money and trying to raise money on rebuilds of halls that don't need it. They are up to some crucked shit but I ain't put my finger in it yet... The latest is the rebuild of Kingshurst west midlands Conregation that was payed for just last month but the building comittee said it needed a new hall and the congregation would have to borrow £ 66k from the society to fund the rebuild. I know this hall and it did not need a re build as the number of JW'S going there could share 1 toilet now. What are they up to in the UK with all these rebuilds. The society has no money in the UK so there must be something in it for them to do all this work.

I hate the Dudley hall as it was were my mom / dad looked after the coats of the JW'S whilst we fought with our kids, there grand children for 6 hours with no support and just shity looks if they weren't silent. Glad I farted as loud as I could during the closing prayer blamed it on the baby next to me ..

Hairyhegoat

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

MJNM:

Snakes, you've been missed - good to see you posting again! Your artistic talents are awesome! LOL

Awesome is a bit hyperbolic. My artistic "talents" consists of google image captures, Windowuhs Paint, and uploading to photobucket. the hardest part was getting the right html code line so that it embedded here.

glad to see someone missed me... I really do not have a lot of time to post or even read anymore. Real life takes priority. I had to get my fiancee's 5 page research paper typed and edited (and her handwriting is .... well..... but her research is great... I am helping her typing skills with software that I have.... ) along with trying to find a new job to replace my current nonsense job. She is at school right now, so I have a couple of hours to goof off, read here, and watch a little DVR'd shows that only I watch. It is nice that JWD(N) is still here to come to when I need/like.

Snakes (Rich )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit