Here in the UK - a £3 fee charged for going to JW assembly hall

by James_Slash 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

I cannot speak for other countries, but it has become evident of late that more and more talks are being done by Presiding Overseers at KH's (especially in the West Midlands) and they are making it quite clear that they are expecting £3 from every publisher (per day) who visit the Dudley Assembly Hall, West Midlands to contribute towards the upkeep of it.

The quote from the PO's who have done this talk have said that "it is expected that each Publisher will put £3 into the box on each day".

What do you think of that then? As the world hits an economic breakdown the JW's seem to maximising their income from struggling families.

Dudley Assembly Hall holds about 600-700 people. I'm sure people are capable of doing the maths.

So much for voluntary contributions !!!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Structures and appliances within need maintenance, repair, remodel, replacement, supplies, etc. We went over this before in another thread some days ago. The contribution is quite modest, really.

Definitely what publishers get out of the assemblies in information, spiritual comforting, Biblical knowledge and comradery with fellow JWs is plenty and priceless. There'll be the ones that will contribute much more than that in order to cover whatever the cost.

Hey, if you think it's so stiff a contribution, how about joining the many religions that not "suggest" but "demand" an amount monthly? How about 10% of a person's earnings? A lady I work with tells me the pastor sees their monthly paychecks and determines how much a person has to give. She's changed churches 5 times since I've known her over money conflicts.

Stop the whining already!

DY

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's probably illegal. I know it technically would be illegal here in the U.S.. If you insist on a certain amount, then it isn't voluntary and it could be taxed. But in such a situation, the organization would deny that it was a set amount insisted upon. In other words, there's some line they have crossed, but they know there's no proof.

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

It is a demand and expected - the PO's have said that.

Not quite sure what you are rambling about to be fair unless your reply was tongue in cheek.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Definitely what publishers get out of the assemblies in information, spiritual comforting, Biblical knowledge and comradery with fellow JWs is plenty and priceless.

You are joking!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Just wondered if the Dudley hall is bought and paid for by now as it was one of the 1st in UK I think (?)

The Bristol assembly hall is bought and paid for and has £750,000 in the bank, but they kindly decided to give £600,000+ of that to the Uk Bethel interest free, but we all know they will never ask for it back, so lets just call it a GIFT shall we?!

We are also STILL paying the full wack that we have done all thru the years, so now they are clear and running at full profit. I dont like it one bit. They should cut the required contribution of £2.50 per publisher down to something that covers costs + 10% only likely about £1 per publisher if not less in my opinion, it should not be for profit, nor should it be to GIVE that money to Bethel with no say in what it gets used for.

Cash Cows is what they are.

Cheers

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Doubtfully Yours

I think it's the principle that they always say that they don't have a collection, they make a big thing out of saying that. However, when a church does have a collection you are free to put in whatever you like, nothing at all if you are short.

However, my husband used to pay a substantial monthly amount by Direct Debit to the KH and at the assemblies they still asked for more. There were also collection boxes at the KH and at the Assembly Halls.

I think the point that is being made is that it contradicts what they say.

LI

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Forgot to say Bristol holds 1100 I think and is used all but 4 weekends a year, so do the maths on that!

Cheers

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Doubtfully Yours;

if you think driving to an out of town Ass'embly Hall in the middle of nowhere where there is not as much as a crappy cup of coffee available, where 2 days of boasting sessions,being told what you cant do and being told to dig deeper in those worn out pockets is priceless then you must love that punishment.

We had a couple of lovely in town Ass'emby halls over the years now long gone, thank goodness my last Ass'embly was almost 20 years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

So what are they going to do, watch the contribution box from afar and mark down who puts something in? It's just a way to pressure the fearful and weak...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit