DMCA Complaint from The WatchTower for links to KS-10 'Shepherding' book

by Simon 217 Replies latest forum announcements

• undercover
    undercover

I think we agree on this for the most part. I do think some advertising, some open distribution, is a good thing. Molesting bees and all that, you know? ;)

• fokyc
    fokyc

sd-7 said "The elder's manual you refer to will soon be back in our hands."

This elder's manual seems to be in everybodies hands now, how exactly do you propose getting it back? it is like trying to close Pandora's Box.

• Simon
    Simon

The law regarding linking to material is unclear at the moment as it hasn't been tried in court. At some point, it will be challenged by someone with enough money to defend the case properly and hopefully that can then set a precedent.

Until then, we have to comply with the DMCA request to protect the site but I don't think removing the links really stops the information being distributed ... ultimately, they are trying to put out a forest fire with a garden hose.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I say let's help protect Simon, and other ex-JW sites, and be smart... don't advertise the distribution of the book.

Be sneaky and do it where the WTS can't see it or control it. In the long run, it's probabaly more damaging.....UnderCover

............................ ...OUTLAW

• donuthole
    donuthole
    The law regarding linking to material is unclear at the moment as it hasn't been tried in court

Unfortunately linking to infringing content has been tried and the US courts have sided with the copyright owners. Per the article I quoted above the courts have forced websites to remove links to internal manuals that the mormon church claims as copyright protected. Even Google will remove search links to material when there is a valid copyright claim. As it currently stands there is a legal precedent that even linking to copyright materials is illegal.

I don't think the issue will go away any time soon in this digital age. With secret books like the Elder's manual it is in the public interest that this information be made available and not hidden behind overextended and abused copyright laws. I'm interested to see if the idea of fair use could be tested to apply such circumstances. Until then it will fall upon the civil disobedience of sites like Wikileaks to make available this information for the benefit of others.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Anybody who has the full pdf download please pm me, I only downloaded 2 chapters because I thought it would always be there when I needed it.

Thanks,

J

• lavozsa
    lavozsa

Same here. Can you PM me either the link or pdf of the book.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

how many chapters does the new flock book have. I have chapters 1-12 in PDF files. Got them from another site. Any more to complete it. Thanks

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Isn't it interesting how "God's spirit-directed organization" quickly runs to Satan's worldly governmental legal system for refuge?

• fokyc
    fokyc

It has just 12 chapters, those requesting PM's have them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit