Are you interested in Bible Congruence?

by sabastious 130 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird
    ^ Circle as in a coin, being flat. NOT a sphere. God's word doesn't know that the earth is spherical.

Ever cut a circle out of woodwork and place a spherical object through it?

^ The sun does not move, the earth does. God's word doesn't know the basic physics of the universe.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Syl

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The original Hebrew does not distinguish between a one-dimensional circle and a three-dimensional sphere-
    their word chuwg could refer to both.

So you are saying that ancient Hebrews did not have a linguistic difference between a coin and an apple?

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Also regarding Joshua 10:13 Atheists claim that the Bible teaches geocentrism, the idea that earth is the center of the universe and that everything orbits around it. One example given is the long day of Joshua, where the sun stood still to provide more daylight. The Bible says that Joshua prayed to God and God performed a miracle.The text makes it clear that Sun "stopped in the middle of the sky".We still use phrases like the "Sun rose", "Sun set". There is no English (or Hebrew) phrase indicating that the earth rotates until the horizon covers the Sun.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm saying that the word "chuwg" could refer to both.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Are you absolutely sure about that?

I'm sure that if one wants to elongate a day, the earth has to stop revolving at 67,000 miles an hour around the sun.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm saying that the word "chuwg" could refer to both.

IS there an ancient Hebrew word for sphere? If so, why wasn't it used?

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Why are people called, "Grasshoppers"?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    We still use phrases like the "Sun rose", "Sun set". There is no English (or Hebrew) phrase indicating that the earth rotates until the horizon covers the Sun.

Ok.

But wouldn't it have been SO EASY for God to write the passage in Joshua to make it CLEAR that the Earth revolves around the earth? It would provide a compelling argument for it's divinity, no?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Why are people called, "Grasshoppers"?

Straw man argument.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Does the Bible have to agree with itself for it to have lasting value?

If it does, then it is completely worthless, because the Bible does not agree with itself (despite rationalizations to the contrary). I don't even think the OT and NT people worship the same God; the God's personality is strikingly different from book to book and very much so from OT to NT. The consistency is imagined.

That said, consistency is overrated and only important if you wish to rigidly base your life and world view around every verse therein.

If, on the other hand, you value the reasoning ability God gave you more than the reasoning ability God gave to a bunch of primitive peoples, then you take the good from it and appreciate it and ignore the stuff that's obvious crap.

Which brings up another point/question that I may make a thread about. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit