Does "God" Exist?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• not a captive
    not a captive

Excuse me. My husband was born 77 years ago--that's modern times.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What do you mean when you say "God"?

If you're talking about the Pagan-Greco-Roman superman in the sky: no, to me that conceopt is human conceit. It places humanity above its place, which is being a small piece of creation, albeit one with the remarkable gift of having some awareness of where we fit into the universe. That awareness, imperfect and incomplete though it is, encompasses things we call "religion", "science" and "philosophy".

If you mean the reason behind creation, the truth the preceeded the origin of space and time which we call the "big bang", made that Genesis moment happen, and will still be there after the universe as we know it fades to cold darkness: then my answer is "Yes, of course!" God is not a material "being" like us mortal creatures. Human language and understanding can only vaguely comprehend the truth of "Why we are we here."

To me, limiting our understanding to a prehistoric concept of God is just as incorrect and disrepectful as glossing over the concept altogether. Neither recognizes the proper place of humanity, nor shows proper respect for the awesome gift of being able to see what that place is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have decided that arguing over God's existence is futile. I recognize that each person must face this question for themself.

I am a rationalist now. I don't have to prove that Zeus was not the boss god. Rationally, I know there is no proof of that.
    I don't have to prove that Jehovah or any other monotheistic god exists. Rationally, I don't automatically reject such a theory, but I don't waste energy on it anymore than I waste energy on Zeus unless there were some actual real proof.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think earth is a soul school.

I think we are spirits in a material world.

I think we reincarnate and live many lives.

At least that what I am reading about this week.

I believe in God.

But in reading about reincarnation, I see some believe in many gods and some believe in 1 God, thats among those

who believe in reincarnation.

I believe there is some higher power some higher intelligence.

On this forum I see there are many people who do not believe in God and some tend to be millitant about their

belief, maybe because of having been hurt by the Jw's.

What ever I believe, I cant prove it

And what ever anybody else believes, they cant prove it either,

or else we would all agree.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I don't think earth is a soul school.

I don't think we are spirits in a material world.

I don't think we reincarnate and live many lives.

At least that what I am reading about this week.

I don't believe in God.

But in reading about reincarnation, I see some believe in many gods and some believe in 1 God, thats among those

who believe in reincarnation.

I believe there may be some higher power some higher intelligence.

On this forum I see there are many people who do believe in God and some tend to be millitant about their

belief, maybe because of having been hurt by the Jw's.

What ever I believe, I cant prove it

And what ever anybody else believes, they cant prove it either,

or else we would all agree.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Does God exist ? Yes everything in the universe is god, Nuclear physics is the evidential proof of this .

• cult classic
    cult classic

thetrueone - good question. What made the few people back in the day soooo special that God spoke to them? He hasn't found that caliber among anyone else since? Doesn't make sense. And as Judge Judy says , "If it doesn't make sense it probably isn't true."

Cult Classic

• Heaven
    Heaven

In 1989, Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier was released and I went to see it. At the ending, Bones, Spock and Kirk are speculating about God. Bones asks "Is God really out there?" and Kirk replies "Maybe he's not out there Bones. Maybe he's right here." And Kirk points to his chest where the heart is located.

That was when I found my answer. It's what makes the most sense.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I don't believe in any of the man-made ideas of God that i have come across. And i don't think it would be appropiate to refer to 'a higher power' as God. To ants, we are a much higher power, but God's we are not.

The universe may have been created by an intelligence, i don't know, i doubt it, but even if it were, i think it's fair to say this intelligence would be very unlikely to resemble any concept of God which any human has yet invented.

I tend to take a reductionist viewpoint on most things, & i think with that kind of reasoning, it's very hard to find God in abstract concepts such as love. Since love is an abstract emergence of a chemical process (at least that's what my reductionist mentality tells me), the idea that a God-like being could be found anywhere in any of that seems illogical to me, but who knows.

For now i'm an atheist.

• LeeT
    LeeT

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."
    Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit