Son sends "apostate" text message - Now the elders want to talk to him!!

by GoingGoingGone 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree on the back room antics. I've had some nasty threats thrown at me. If any elder has an issue with u and he's in that room, get ready for some nasty insults.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Well, there was no meeting with the elders tonight. But the saga continues....

My son called his dad today at work and asked what the elders wanted to talk to him about. It was, indeed, the offending text messages. My son said that he was simply expressing what he believed, and that he did not want to talk to Elder X and Elder Y. (Superior hard-liner types.) He would, however, meet with the PO (nice, respectful, intelligent guy.) He spoke to the PO months ago, after telling his dad that he wasn't going to be a JW, and presented him with info on the WT-UN-NGO connection and false prophecies, among other things. The PO was going to get back to him and never did.

Well, it turns out that the PO is no longer an elder! News to me... anyway, my husband asked if my son would meet with the ex-PO, and Elder X. My son said no, no Elder X... he sees no point. So my husband was going to call Elder X and see what he says. We haven't heard anything yet, I'm sure they're conferring.... *eye roll*

I don't think my husband will press the issue too much. My son told me that he feels he should sit down with the ex-PO for his dad's sake, though. The reason for the first meeting months ago was so that the PO could address the doubts my son had. He didn't have answers for him then, and if he has answers now, then my son wants to hear them. He doesn't want his father to think that he operates with a hit-and-run type mentality.... throw out accusations and don't listen to the rebuttal. I am 99.99% certain that there is nothing that could convince my son that the JWs have "the truth", so that's not a concern.

Thanks again for the support and the suggestions and help to simply get things in perspective. Love you guys!

GGG

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It sounds as if your son wants to meet with them for HIS reasons, not theirs. That being the case he will be fine. It's probably better that Dad isn't there, then when they twist what he says and report it back to him Dad will see the BS they spew for what it is. I think this is a win win situation. Let your boy give it to them with both barrels. I would encourage him to be resolute and prepared to discuss those points he knows inside and out and to end the conversation when it becomes a chanting session for the self appointed demigods. W.Once

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Wonder why ex-PO is no longer an elder? Wouldn't it be something if it was stuff your son said that caused him to have doubts and step down?

That would be sweet!

• tak
    tak

Son: I don't believe what JWs teach anymore, and I can show you from the WT Library and the bible that they are false prophets.

Sorry I am new to this... what was it he was going to show, I would like to look that up myself.

Thanks

p.s. Whether your son meets with the elders or not, it looks like he has his head on his shoulders for a 17 year old. At the end of the day, he will do what he wants. Good for him.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

If he's not baptized or attending the can't do a damn thing...why go to a meeting....Obama and Hilary banning religion....bull!

• Gopher
    Gopher

You said your son doesn't want to give his dad the idea that he has a "hit and run mentality" by refusing to meet again with the former P.O.

Well, the P.O. has had several months to answer, and there's been none. I think your son has given the P.O. more than reasonable time to answer. Now if he wants to meet with the P.O. for just a friendly chat at a McDonalds or coffee house, it wouldn't be so formal as a "sit down".

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Wasanelder Once: Totally agree with what you said.

cognizant dissident: "Wonder why ex-PO is no longer an elder? Wouldn't it be something if it was stuff your son said that caused him to have doubts and step down?"
    THAT would be sweet. But I think the reason is family problems. On the other hand, without all his elder-duties, he probably has more time to think. So you never know!

tak: "what was it he was going to show, I would like to look that up myself."
    Among other things - He would read Deut. 18:20-22: "20 “‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him." Then, he would show him a list of things that the WT has 'prophesied', for example quotes from WT articles which say how close the end is, that college is unnecessary because young people (in 1969) would never grow up in this system, etc.... If you're interested in a more comprehensive list, pm me an email address and I'll get it to you. I've gotten a new computer and don't all my files on this one yet.

Gopher: "I think your son has given the P.O. more than reasonable time to answer. Now if he wants to meet with the P.O. for just a friendly chat at a McDonalds or coffee house, it wouldn't be so formal as a "sit down"."
    I agree. But I do think that one reason the PO didn't answer was the family stuff that happened with him just about that time. So a less formal meeting would be good, it would give the ex-PO a chance to present his info, and my husband couldn't say that there IS an answer, but that my son just wouldn't listen to it.... or some such nonsense.

So, we are just waiting for the other (rejected - haha!) elders to decide what they want to do. I'll letcha know!

GGG

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

There is NO reason, for your son to meet with these clowns, none at all. I wished that I never got baptized like your son, therefore the elders, get to exert pressure on my family not to speak to me. If I was your son, I'd tell those elders to "kiss the fat side of my ass".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit