Son sends "apostate" text message - Now the elders want to talk to him!!

by GoingGoingGone 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

My 17 year old son told his dad that he didn't want to be a JW anymore about 8 months ago I think, and doesn't go to meetings or assemblies. He's been accepted to one of the best universities in the country and will start this fall, with his dad's blessing.

Their congregation had the summer convention this past weekend. Full of anti-apostate, anti-college stuff. On Monday, right after the assembly, one of my son's JW friends (who happens to avoid him now, since my son's inactive) sent him a text message. Here's the gist of it:

JW friend: Hillary Clinton is teaming up with Obama to ban religion! Isn't that great??!!

Son: Why is that great?

JW friend: Because it means that the end will be here soon!! You really need to get your relationship with Jehovah straightened out.

Son: I don't believe what JWs teach anymore, and I can show you from the WT Library and the bible that they are false prophets.

JW friend: No thanks. That's apostate thinking.

Son: There's a reason I haven't been to meetings in forever. I'm not offering to show you something from the internet or some book, it's from the WT publications, which the JWs use, and the Bible, God's word. (he doesn't believe that presently but whatever.)

JW friend: I'm done here. I feel sorry for you.

There was more but those were the basics. At any rate, this kid has gone to the elders, no doubt, because my husband told my son today that 2 of the elders want to talk to him Monday night. They can't do anything to him because he's not baptized (my fault - *huge grin!!*)

I think he should go to that meeting prepared. Print out info he has, references, basically the reasons why he doesn't believe the JW teachings anymore. First of all, it would cement the fact that they are teaching a bunch of crap in his own mind. Also, he's a smart cookie, he's 17, and he's not baptized. He has the freedom to say things and vocalize doubts that these elders have probably NEVER had the opportunity to hear!!! It's an opportunity I can hardly stand to see him pass up. And, being his mother, I don't want these guys to think that my kid has rejected the JWs simply because he can't be bothered. They need to know that there are sound reasons behind his choice. And it was a choice.

The dilemma is this, though: With all the anti-college stuff flying around in WT World lately, I'm afraid that my son's being so blatantly honest about his reasons for leaving might cause him problems with his JW dad. Or rather, the elders might cause problems for his JW dad, which will then translate into problems between father/son. On the other hand, both kids are out of the WT and in college, and despite my fears that their actions would affect their relationship with their dad, it hasn't so far.

Another thing - if he does bring info to the meeting w/the elders, does anyone have suggestions for what he should bring up? And how, and how much?

Thanks in advance for your help. Hubby's on his way home and will be around the rest of the day so I'll check back on this thread as I am able. Love you guys!

GGG

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JW`s are afraid of anything negative said or written about the WBT$..Even if it`s in the WBT$ own publications..............JW`s are seriously brain dead............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

Why does your son need to meet with the elders? He's unbaptized, and they can't rule him.

The less he interacts with the elders, the greater will his independence be. If he can steer clear of the elders for the next year, he'll reach adulthood. Then maybe they won't bother your husband about that "no college" rule since your son will be in college of his own volition quite soon.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Outlaw is right. Your son could hand them a Watchtower and point out a few things and they wouldn't touch the magazine with gloves on and a long stick.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Tell your son to stay away from those brain dead morons..They have nothing intelligent to say and will try to make his life miserable...................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• aniron
    aniron
    Why does your son need to meet with the elders? He's unbaptized, and they can't rule him.

Quite right!

He should say to them they have no authority over him. If they want to see him they should come to him.

They only want to get him alone to bully him.

and

JW friend: Hillary Clinton is teaming up with Obama to ban religion! Isn't that great??!!

Where the hell did he get that idea from?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Gregor..Yes your right..The JW`s will be afraid of their own literature..LOL!!.....................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Your son has no obligation to meet with the elders, and doing so, will only make things difficult for his father. Jws shun da'd people too, you know. Why have him start his adult life out by deliberately causing a situation where his father will have to shun him to stay in the cult? These elders will never listen to or accept any criticism of the WTB&TS, even if proof is found in the WT magazine.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

You are one the right track with your blessing and suggestions to your son.
    I hope his dad makes the right choice when they pressure him.

• Zico
    Zico

Recently I sat down with my Dad and showed him this article I'd printed off:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article4014800.ece

Afterwards, I asked him, simply, "Should we trust this guy, and put our faith in his prophecies? If not, why not?"
    He refused to answer the question because he knew where I was going, but maybe your son would get better luck with his elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit