What is the most important thing you've learned about communication?

by esw1966 20 Replies latest jw friends

• esw1966
    esw1966

I have a memo to write for English. I need to 'interview' people about communication and it's place in the work force. I would really appreciate the input and help on this assignment if you have any comments.

(I'd go to the Awake, but.... )

In the end, I am looking for good insight on good communication. Particularly in the work force, but communication is communication. Any good insights?

Here are a few 'suggested questions':

In your experience with writing in your field, what has most surprised you? What has been the most difficult aspect of oral communication in your work? What stands out in your mind as the most common misperception on the part of students or the public about writing in your job? What are your favorite/least favorite oral communication tasks? If you had to summarize the most important thing you've learned about writing or verbally communicating in your field, what would it be? What is your advice about writing or oral communication on the job for those of us still in college or just starting out?

I am taking a course to become a Surgical Technician! It is great to be back in school!!! I am working 50 hours a week and going to school full time and trying to maintain a home life with my wife of 6 months. Life's busy, but she's the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm going to do my best to give her the life that she deserves.

Thanks for all your help!!! You guys are great!

Ethan

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I learned to shut my mouth more and listen.

momz

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ethan,

Good to see you on the board again. And congrats with how well things are going for you in your schooling and best wishes in your future career as a surgical technician.

I don't do a lot of oral communication at work, but I do a good amount of technical documentation. As far as writing tips, are you looking for day-to-day communication with peers and managers, or are you looking for advice about writing documentation and/or procedures that will have a long shelf life? The advice would vary depending on what kind of writing you are doing.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    In your experience with writing in your field, what has most surprised you? What has been the most difficult aspect of oral communication in your work? What stands out in your mind as the most common misperception on the part of students or the public about writing in your job? What are your favorite/least favorite oral communication tasks? If you had to summarize the most important thing you've learned about writing or verbally communicating in your field, what would it be? What is your advice about writing or oral communication on the job for those of us still in college or just starting out?

Life does sound busy for you Ethan.

In my field I don't really get to write my own words, but I get to edit and improve upon others. What surprises me most is actually how many extremely well paid professionals have really poor English and grammar.

The most difficult aspect of oral communication in the past is that people just can't get to the point on the telephone. Its so frustrating to talk to someone who won't just ask me the question but wants to tell me an entire life history. Sometimes assume that the person you have looked up on the company intranet for a particular purpose can actually do their job. Get the question in your head first before wasting their time calling. I can usually tell you in 3 seconds or less whether I know the answer and if I don't, then who can. My time is valuable. Be concise. 20 seconds or less or make an appointment to talk to me via email.

Favourite oral communications - other than kissing in the stairwells?

Least favourite? Telephone.

I think I've covered the other couple of questions one way or another in my other responses. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah - Most important thing I've learnt is not every one is as impatient/busy/people-intolerant as me and to use key questions to hurry them along to the point without being rude.

• tula
    tula

Most important thing I have learned about communication:

Give hand signal with the command.

I train men and dogs by the same book.

• esw1966
    esw1966

Hi Gopher!

Are you looking for day-to-day communication with peers and managers, or are you looking for advice about writing documentation and/or procedures that will have a long shelf life?

I would say day-to-day communication with peers and managers.

Thank you all for your great comments! It really helps!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

In your experience with writing in your field, what has most surprised you? I'm surprised at poor grammar, spelling, and poor communication skills in the field in general. I'm surprised that so many people are afraid of telling the truth, or don't know how.
    What has been the most difficult aspect of oral communication in your work? Speaking up sooner rather than later.
    What stands out in your mind as the most common misperception on the part of students or the public about writing in your job? The most common perception is the belief that anyone can write well.
    What are your favorite/least favorite oral communication tasks? I have enjoyed learning how to be more direct and honest, to speak up right away when needed, and how to be assertive without being angry. I don't like correcting people, but I have learned the sooner you do it, the better the results are.
    If you had to summarize the most important thing you've learned about writing or verbally communicating in your field, what would it be? The most important thing is to do it - communicate, communicate, communicate. Ask questions to make sure the people listening understand what you are saying. Be specific, especially when giving directions, communicating deadlines, explaining problems.
    What is your advice about writing or oral communication on the job for those of us still in college or just starting out? Take a class in communication so you can find out what kind of communicator you are and how to become a good communicator.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ethan,

A couple things have worked for me (after learning the hard way) in day-to-day communication.

1. Know your audience. Know who you should and should not include in the list of recipients.

2. Have a definite goal (or maybe 2) in mind that you hope to accomplish as a result of this communication. At the end of the communication, make sure your audience knows what their next steps are. If they do, you've written a winning e-mail or memo.

3. Keep it as brief as possible. If items can be left out and you will still accomplish the purpose, leave them out.

4. Related to point 1, if your communication is going to a diverse audience (such as managers, technical people, quality assurance folks) make sure to address each part of the audience at their level. Don't bore managers with technical details. If necessary, separate the contents into an executive summary and a detail section.

5. If there is too much detail to be covered in one communication, call a meeting to discuss the information. That way people will be able to give feedback and ask questions, and fewer things will get lost in translation.

That's all I can think of for now. Agree, or disagree -- I hope it helps a little.

• 4mylove
    4mylove

That is requires listening!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

To be easy going. Listen and not jump to conclusions and the object is to communicate and not to be right all the time. I apply that with relationships, now if I can just do that here at JWD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit