What is the most important thing you've learned about communication?

by esw1966 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What I have learned, working in law enforcement regarding comunication and you can take this all the way to court.

If its not written down, it never happened.

Written communication is the best kind of communication.

It cant be fudged or wiggled out of. It's pretty close to black and white.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I have been self employed for about 25 years and became an excellent problem resolver. Some eye contact and if required a firm, but short hand shake seems to work in a dispute. I ask: what can we do to resolve this problem to your satisfaction. Always worked.

Other than shuffling paper all day I remember problem solving as the second most important task in business-as long as you wanted a happy customer base.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

In my career field, I deal with professional sales people on a daily basis. It is my goal each day for them to provide me with work, which equates to money for me. It has been my expierence to be very knowledgeable of their products and of their clientelle along with the state of the local economy.

The most important aspect of dealing with them and communicating with them is to be a DIPLOMAT. Give and take on whatever level they are coming from. I raise no objections as long as they are amiable in what I am proposing. Keep an open mind as to just WHO it is that you are talking to. I never talk DOWN to them and most of all I show them the RESPECT due, to their position. My 2 cents.

NMG

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

One of the interesting things the I have learned about communication:

"You cannot change someone's mind by proving that they are wrong."

I got that from Ros over on "Channel C"

Don Cameron
    CaptivesOfaConcept.com

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

In your experience with writing in your field, what has most surprised you ? What has been the most difficult aspect of oral communication in your work? What stands out in your mind as the most common misperception on the part of students or the public about writing in your job? What are your favorite/least favorite oral communication tasks ? If you had to summarize the most important thing you've learned about writing or verbally communicating in your field, what would it be? What is your advice about writing or oral communication on the job for those of us still in college or just starting out?

Say what you mean...mean what you say.

What suprises me most how poorly people listen. The nost basin combination of Nouns, verbs and adverbs go right over the heads of most workers.

Difficult? Taking time to re-expain the request or re-state the data I tried to express previously.

Advice? Least favorite com task? Hand in hand here. Correcting the mistakes or re-requesting whatever was ingnored. I find that when people go passive when being corrected I get a little blunt. Very non-professional (especially in todays Nanny mentaliy workplace) ...I have been know to as employees or co-workers if I "am speaking F@#K$#G FRENCH when they cannot comprehend the most basic data.

Say what you mean ...mean what you say.

~Hill

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    sorry double post
  • Dogaradodya
    Dogaradodya

Sometimes you have to be poetic to get your message across.

Land Of The Mighty

Fondly dedicated to Pres. George W. Bush
    at the height of the War on Iraq

To whom does the land belong?
    It belongs to the mighty and the strong.
    From Egyptian Pharaohs to Chinese emperors,
    From Roman gladiators to Spanish conquistadors –
    A booming gong, a marching song –
    The land belongs among the strong.

To whom does the land belong?
    It belongs to a brave and mighty throng.
    From Nebuchadnezzar to Julius Caesar,
    From Alexander the Great to Henry VIII –
    A whipping thong, no right or wrong –
    The land does belong to a mighty throng.

Who does rule the earth?
    It is ruled by the mighty and the learned.
    From Hebrews to Jews, Pygmies to Aborigines,
    Negroes to Eskimos, Indians to Palestinians –
    Uprooted at birth, forced to hit the dirt –
    The earth is ruled by the learned and the rude.

Who does rule the world?
    It is ruled by the lord of a mighty horde.
    From the Pyramids to Parthenon, from Babylon
    To Washington, from Rome to home –
    A two-edged sword I can’t afford –
    The world is ruled by a lord, great and shrewd.

Alexander runs a-thunder on the soil over and over.
    From food to abode, gold loot to tribute,
    Silk route to spice root, cheap toil to dear oil –
    Yet fraught with bows and arrows so brute –
    The land is sought, the uncouth to soothe.
    Why, Almighty, the land belongs to the mighty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFltqVS8d9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQtcd0clu4

• jgnat
    jgnat

The most important thing I've learned about communication comes from Covey's book, "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People."

People must know they are heard before they can listen.

In your experience with writing in your field, what has most surprised you?

Facts are not enough. Even if you are right, it is a whole other battle to win over your audience.

What has been the most difficult aspect of oral communication in your work? What are your favorite/least favorite oral communication tasks?

I don't have trouble speaking my mind - either in public or one-on-one. It is still most difficult handle emotionally-charged or confrontational subjects. Even so, speaking in person is best. That way they pick up your body language and facial expression. You can express caring, even if the words hurt.

Another difficulty is getting everyone in the room to get the same message. There's too many of us, we are too widely dispersed, and we can't leave some areas unmanned for any period of time. Also, large group sessions only help with one-way communication. You often miss great ideas from the quiet and reserved ones.

What stands out in your mind as the most common misperception on the part of students or the public about writing in your job?

That bureaucrats don't know how to come to the point. We've been blasted with plain language principles for years. For those of us who have mastered the skill of writing simply, we take great pride in it.

What is your advice about writing or oral communication on the job for those of us still in college or just starting out?

Writing changes as soon as you leave college. In college it's word count that matters. That and a proficiency with multisyllable words. Once you are out, brevity matters. It's a completely different writing style. Take the time to master the skills. The best book for teaching me clarity and brevity in my writing is "On Writing Well" by Zinsser.

By the way, PowerPoint is an efficient way to organize a presentation. Dump all your ideas in to the slides, and THEN sort them out. I've also used PowerPoint this way to prepare a lengthy paper, for instance. But don't let the tool rule you. I often have the slides available, but I never lose touch with the audience. I talk to them, not the slides. Reading from the slides separates you from the audience and removes the passion from your words.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yeah. What hill said. I am told that I provide very clear direction. I probably repeat myself at least five times and ask for confirmation at least once to make sure I was heard correctly.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sometimes you have to explain things with a baseball bat..Hitting With Bat 2............Some people listen with their mouth..Blah BlahBlah Blah.................Some people don`t listen at all..La La LaLa La La................You can lead a horse..Swimming..But..You can`t be a dink..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit