Most people would say that practising any religion is better than not......

by JH 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

Most believers think that it's better to practise any religion than to act like an animal and not practise any.

Even my dad who used to dislike the JW's when he was alive, told me once, "You're better off going back to that religion, than not practising any religion at all". I'm a believer like he was, but it's funny how most believers will say that practising any religion is better than not practising any.

JW's wouldn't agree, because they think that only their religion is the right one, even though a wrong religion may have a postive influence on somebody's behavior and happiness.

The only thing a JW looks at is the carrot "eternal life". They won't look at the good that may come out of practising another religion.

After my JW experience, I won't go to any other religion. My dad knew this, and that's why he told me back then, I should go back even though he didn't agree with their beliefs and especially their way of breaking up families and screwing up lives.

Overall, he felt that practising any religion was better than not practising any, because he felt that you had to gain salvation.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"Most believers think that it's better to practice any religion than to act like an animal and not practice any." uhm, how are the crimes practiced by religious fanatics not animal like?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Atheists are without a doubt the last group that is still being discriminated against.

I don't know a single politician would be be willing to step up to the plate in order to publicly defend the rights of an atheist.

• Gopher
    Gopher

JH -- I'm with you, no more religion for me. I wonder exactly what we need salvation FROM? Some mythological hellfire? From ourselves?

Elsewhere -- Interestingly, Mike Huckabee on "Meet the Press" this morning said his vision of Christianity allowed for an America with both believers and non-believers. He answered in the affirmative when asked whether he would allow atheists in his staff if elected president, and said he probably even had some on board when governor of Arkansas. (Not too bad for a former preacher.)

• hmike
    hmike

You could always make up your own religion, and don't call it a "religion."

• Steve J
    Steve J

The problem with practising, or belonging to any religion is that you're expected to tow the line and to a greater or lesser degree not think for yourself. Once you believe you have the "truth," as many religions do, (not only JW's) you are not open to argument, or debate and I feel this is potentially dangerous.

In my opinion, religion tends to enslave rather than bring salvation and speaking personally I feel that I've discovered much more about the truth of the Bible since leaving JW's than in all my years with them.

After my JW experience, I won't go to any other religion. My dad knew this, and that's why he told me back then, I should go back even though he didn't agree with their beliefs and especially their way of breaking up families and screwing up lives.

Why on earth would anyone encourage his son to go back to a religion that breaks up families and screws up peoples lives?

Overall, he felt that practising any religion was better than not practising any, because he felt that you had to gain salvation.

Salvation from what?

It's only when we leave God and the Devil out of the equasion that we become responsible for our own actions but if you still feel a need for religion I'd suggest Paganism. Their ethic "Do as thou wilt as long as it harms no one," is far greater than any other religious ethic that I've come accross, as the "no one" would include all life forms and indirectly the environment too.

Personally I believe "Religion is a snare and a racket"...Now where have I heard that before? Judge Rutherford was it?

Steve J

• journey-on
    journey-on

I don't think it is necessarily better to practice a particular religion. I DO believe, however, that one should maintain

a spiritual component to one's life, but this does not have to mean belonging to a religion. IMO, man has evolved, not

only physically, but spiritually, as well. Religion is man's organized search for how we came to be and just what this

First Cause entailed. It served a purpose in the spiritual evolution of our species. We are evolving out of that phase,

however, IMO, and into a more individualized way of seeing the interconnectedness of all things and putting our own

individual spirituality into play. We each and every one are a manifestation of that One Spirit and we each and every

one make choices as to how we will "interpret" or translate that into our everyday life. When I hear the scripture that

talks about "under his own vine and fig tree", this is what I think of.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

JH - Tell your father that you're a Pastafarian. Maybe that'll get him off your back.

• steve2
    steve2
    Even my dad who used to dislike the JW's when he was alive, told me once, "You're better off going back to that religion, than not practising any religion at all".

With all due respect, your father's nonsensical words suggest he may not have had a close involvement with the JWs. The worst people in the world are those driven by religious convictions. I recommend the book "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens, which nicely rebuts the erroneous view that religion improves people's morals.

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

I have never been envolved with any group religious or otherwise that don't use the same tools to keep things together.

It seems people are upset constantly with religion when every aspect of life is governer by the same tools.

The reason they are offend is because they want to blame something bigger then themselves.

Perhaps people are suckered because of their own needs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit